• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hello to all divers!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mamza

May 20, 2005
Hi divers! :)
...hello,hello...im mamza
im an avid spearfisher from the tropical pacific. im using a riffe island with slip tip and cnc reel. i shoot pelagic fishes like dogtooth tuna and several kinds of trevallies including giant trevallies. my biggest fishes range in the 15 to 18kg sizes. i shot bigger dogtooth in the 20kg plus range but it got away and it frightened me also...it really is a powerful fish....i lost a shaft and tip. i think i shot it at mid section and it stripped all my 1000lb line and dragged me to 130ft. good thing my line gave away or i may have lost my gun also.
my question: how can you get such big fish without losing your gun or cutting your line?--- ive seen bigger dogtooth and would like to try getting one.
sorry guys i use scuba and i free dive only up to 20ft.
--Mamza :)

Welcome it is. Mamza, you need to find Iyadiver, he posts here, does what you do, should be a great teacher, in Indonesia, and loves BIG dogtooth tuna. Look up his profile and some of his posts on dogtooth for info. The posts are a real kick. When you figure out how to get the big ones, try it freediving, you'll like it.

Connor

Welcome Mamza, i'm new to this fab site also, hope you have fun and enjoy, whats the weather and vis like at the moment. Regards Ted

hi ted93, the weather now is just great. its peak summer season here in the tropics no waves-super calm seas. we have 84F temp and vis of 80-100ft, we wear 2mm wetsuits..

hi cdavis, yeah i hope iya reads my message. i know some guys really do get those big pelagics, but for me--well, im just not sure how they manage to do it

Hiya

Welcome!!!!!

Unfortunately there aren't many spearo's that hunt big pelagics on scuba. IYA is your best bet!!!! He has designed some AWESOME rigs that he uses on BIG dogtooth tuna. What must also be noted is that he has also lost a couple of guns to fish that have simply run all his line off and started pulling him too deep!!!!!

I've got plenty of respect for anybody that hunts tuna on scuba!!!

Regards
miles

Hi Miles! :) :thankyou
thanks for the reply...wheres iya? --can you help out with some free advise? :) yes miles it sure can be scary sometimes, esp after the first few seconds the tuna gets hit and it swims at warp speed with you in tow-- dogtooth tuna goes nowhere else but down deep. i got towed from 65ft to 110ft in like 3secs after my reel jammed. I got my doggie at 145ft after the line tangled in some coral boulders and it was just a 15kg fish!! how do you get those bigger ones swimming around in 20kg to 40kgs size? :hmm

Hiya

Just be patient!!! Iya WILL pop around soon!!! He's probably out hunting!!:D:D:D

We shoot out tuna's relatively close to the surface and use HUGE boogie boards as floats. Its not going to work with your situation though!!

Actually quite interested to see how Iya gets those BIG doggies!!

Regards
miles

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT