• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello World, it's me Max!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
D

DivingMax

Hi,
I am Max. At the moment I am 16.
I come from the eastern part of austria and here is my little story why I am here.

So, all started a few days ago, at the moment I am in croatia for vacation, when I got my hands on a snorkel and a diving mask. Before that moment I didn't snorkel for maybe two years. (I think it was during my " * " scuba diving class/cours). So, I snorkled in this small bay for some time, loked at the underwater landscape, watched the fish and thought they came pretty close (the fish were pretty small, like 10cm +/-). In this very moment I remembered a YouTube Video I watched some time ago. It was about two Australian boys (I think about 16 years old) diving down a sort of cliff and down there spearing a big fish. (After some time online I found out that those spears are called pole spears.) And still in the water I thought it would be pretty good fun to just dive down to those fish an spear them. ( I really like normal fishing but in Austria it is not at easy to do. And I never cought something in eating size on vacations. :) ) Of course I tried diving and wanted to come near those fish, but I had some trouble. (I didn't wear a weight belt or fins.) I took a deep breath (at least I thought it was all I can put into my lungs) and dived down. Mostly relying on my arms for staying under water. Again no weight, no fins. It was quite a fight to get down, but I managed to get down ( about a meter :) ). Of course I started to get a sting in my ears. The moment I tried to equalize the pressure ( Same as I did with scuba diving with the Vasalva Methode) it didn'really work (I had some problems like this with scuba diving too, had to go really slow.) and during equalizing I came back up to the surface. Swallowing a lot of salt water.

I tried a few more times this day, but got tired really quick.

Afterwards I started looking for information on spearfishing on google and found out there was a whole sport called freediving. I found the deeperBlue website and at this moment I read the whole Beginners guid to freediving and some stuff about spearfishing in the forum. (There should be a Beginners guide to Spearfishing too I think.)

After reading about Polespears and freediving and spearfishing I really wanted to try it out so I talked to a good friend of mine and he got interrested in this whole spearfishing thing too. So we thought it would be really cool to make a nice spearfishing trip next summer.

At the moment my biggest problem is were to go. Here in Austria it is of couse not possible. So we would need to go to another country. Both of us never tried spearfishing (nor deeper freediving) so a place with relatively shallow water, near the beach, would be perfect. I think something like 3m-5m, but I am not sure if you can even catch fish you can eat with pole spears at this depths. Country wise I thought about Italy and Great Britan for the most part. But maybe there is a better option. (I don't know :) )
Maybe someone here could maybe tell me at least a region or something good for newbies. (I think most people don't really want to share there spots for the most part.)

Of course there is the freediving aspect of spearfishing. I realized if I am not able to get down to the fish I will not be able to spear them. For this reason I wanted to do a freediving class (not that easy in Austria) until next summer. Maybe after that I will be able to hunt at maybe 10m (!?), but I am not totally sure.

So thats the story why I am here, mostly for information about freediving and spearfishing.

:)

Greetings, Max

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT