• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello!!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Scuby

Sep 24, 2003
OK - I'm new and I have questions!! (Please feel free to bypass the next para and get straight to the q's!;) )

Looking at that age poll you got going I'm a bit long in the tooth to be getting into this but what the hey! (newbie/oldie=moldy?!:D ). My GF and I tried freediving for the first time last year on holiday in Cyprus - we spent more time hiring out some gear and tryng to dive than anything else. It was great fun. We're both not too shabby at statics but boy, putting it together in the water was quite a shock! We did laugh - a lot!:). That said we were both secretly quite proud of hitting 12 metres (my G/F breezed it but I had equilisation problems and then forgot about the mask and got a horific case of 'red eye' even at that depth!:head) We're going back to Cypress shortly - no expectations about achievements just gonna have fun with it which leads me to the question bit............

We know Konnos point, Chapel Bay and Cape Grecko generally from last year - we'd like to check out green bay and Paramount this year but, is there anywhere else we should be checking out? (staying just outside agia napa).

Is there anywhere we can get a good clear map (so we are where we think we are - if you know what I mean!)

Lastly - great forum! Very informative and usefull (I've got a new dry static PB since reading some of the training threads:D )

Thanks for reading;)

Last edited:
Hmmm................over 70 views and no one even says hello! :wave
(who said elitist?!! :t)

Anyway, had a great time in Cyprus free diving / skin diving (bit confused which following the 'Paul's article..' thread in 'general' section :confused). Only went to 50ft this time but that was enough. Best dive time was a shade over 2 minutes - happy with that. My girlfriend had some really bad equalising days - got back to find she had eczema and secondary infection in both ears!! ouch! :duh

Now I hate other peoples holiday snaps at the best of times but as these are mine............rofl :D

dbIMG_0298.jpg

dbIMG_0383.jpg

dbIMG_0355.jpg

dbIMG_0417.jpg

Hi Samdive - hey, thanx for the compliments! Funnily enough we were reading your freediving diary today - very cool (and very busy by the looks of it! ;)).

Great pics! I think you didn't get replies because nobody had a map?
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Reactions: donmoore
Incredible photos, Scuby. I still have never set foot (or fin) in water that clear. You may have some strong contenders for the calendar contest.

I like this one the best. The colors make the diver (your chica, I presume) look like she's navigating a very deep ocean floor. She looks so small and fragile.

Erik's right about the map thing. I don't think you wanted 70 replies saying "nope, I don't have a map" :D. Still, a hello was in order :eek: .

Welcome.

Ted

Last edited:
We have great waters in north part of the island as well. Actually i heard from many people that north part has much clear and fishy waters.

I don't know what kind of map you need but you can find them on locals or you want online one?

Hi Scuby

Thanks for posting those photos.

One of them should definitely be in the calendar IMHO (3rd one down in your 1st photo post).

That visibility is just incredible, I don't often get to dive in water that clear and I miss it:(

Still...my tropical dive holiday is coming up.

Ash

Thanx all for the compliments re: pics (I could really bore you to death with these as we filled up a whole memory card - that's 173 pics in total and only 5 topside!! Needless to say the family think we're nuts....). All credit to the camera really - Canon S50 the quality is phenomenal @ 5 mega pixel.

Erik - fair point!

Unirdna - That pic was at Konnos Point near Protaras.
The ledge just drops away continually - the max depth at Konnos is 41m apparantly. Yup, the vis was superb - thoroughly enjoyed it (and are hoping to go back in a couple of weeks)

Ash - Thanx mate - so, er, what's the calendar thing all about?

DB are getting a 2004 calendar printed and are looking for photos.

The thread can be found in the general forum under contests.

Photos must be in by the 31st of October.

I reckon you should submit a few.

Cheers

Ash

hi

Wow mate great photos the visibilty is just stunning. Im so going to see that part of the world one day. My waters are like mud compared to that.

What was the best the vis got for you there.

cheers

Originally posted by ivan
hi

Wow mate great photos the visibilty is just stunning. Im so going to see that part of the world one day. My waters are like mud compared to that.

What was the best the vis got for you there.

cheers

Personally i always see the bottom whatever depth i go. i clearly see the reef in 15-16 meter deep from at least 40-50 meter away:cool: Its very nice...

Cheers Ash - yeah will do.

Ivan, like Murat says, I don't remember not being able to see the bottom!

Still, it'll all come back to me again in a couple of weeks cos we've just booked to go back for a week!! The trade off however, is cancelling Xmas this year (always a disappointment anyway), and avoiding the bank manager for the next few months like the plague, and the fact that I'll have used half my annual leave within a month, and etc. etc. but who cares.........? :D

For some realon I can't see Scuby's photos, however I can see the one Ted re-posted. Any ideas?

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us Scuby and welcome to DB!

Aaron

Scuby linked those photos from another server (http://www.streamload.com). Most servers like that have bandwidth limits. I'm betting that because so many of us checked out his photos (requiring them to download to our computers), he exceeded his bandwidth for the day (week? month?). They'll show back up when he gets his bandwidth 'recharged'. The reason you can see the photo I reposted was because I saved it to my desktop, then uploaded it to the Deeperblue server (via the usual attachment method).

Ted

hi

What an incredible place, and these are shore dives right :cool:

cheers

Ivan - Yes, shore dives (although access to on e of the sites is a bit rocky!)

Ted - what is the usual attachment method (if you don't mind me asking) ? I've just checked out the bandwidth I've got left and whilst you guys have definietely dented it :D, there is absolutely loads left, so don't worry ;)

In north most parts are clean sand coast. You can just walk from sands in the sea! ! ! But someplaces are altough rocky.

Hey scuby where will you come? North or South? I advise you north. If you look at the map you will see that north part of the island have much more coast line. That means much more thing to see.:cool:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT