• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

help for a newbie picking shaft size, and bands

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

joker

Nov 8, 2006
Hey all, well it's time for me to start building my speargun, and I am wondering how to determine shaft size and such....

I am hunting in freshwater...visibility really depends on the lake, and I will be mostly after panfish and carp..

I don't need much power for panfish, but for carp i need alot.

I was thinking getting a 3/8"x42" shaft...

but for bands i don't know how to determine this... I know for carp i need alot of power cuz they are so tough... but how should i determine what size bands to get????
any suggestions on spear length, diameter, and band width and length??

Thanks,

joker

Last edited:
try 9/32 or maybe 5/16 shaft. I thing your 3/8 shaft would more than destroy a panfish. I have never hunted in fresh water before, but my bread and butter gun only uses a 5/16 shaft and it is plenty for fish in the 50lb range and much higher.

Try also checking in on the DIY or homemade forum under hunting equipment.

good luck

Joel

Last edited:
One 20mm circular band with a 6,5mm shaft, the length depending on gun's length of course..
Assuming that you're building a relatively short gun (barrell lenght max 80 cm or shorter, I guess), any heavier band load would screw up both accuracy and waving/aiming, and a thicker shaft would have no velocity.

depending on how many bands you will be using? but 3 9/16 x 18" should give you plenty of power.
with a 5/16 x 42 shaft
are you making a rear handle or mid handle?

good luck

Joel

Last edited:
should work good. good luck and like i said check out the DIY forum.

good luck

Joel

One 20mm band 1/3 of the stock length and a 7mm shaft 200mm longer than the stock. That will set you up to take on just about any fish you want.
Have fun.
Woodsy

okay..well what if i want to put on 2 or 3 smaller bands, just to be able to take on smaller fish without destroying them...would I just divide 20mm by 3 and have 3 bands like 7mm in diameter?? Would that be okay?

okay..well what if i want to put on 2 or 3 smaller bands, just to be able to take on smaller fish without destroying them...would I just divide 20mm by 3 and have 3 bands like 7mm in diameter?? Would that be okay?
well, this is a big
NO!

Okay okay, i figured it out by talkin to someone, but just as a general guide, to determine band length, halve the barrel length?? Because that is what 42 cm is...so is that a good guide???

Don't wory spaghetti, i got it figured out, thanks.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT