• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help! How do I rig my mares mini pneumatic spear!?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dzey95

Jun 15, 2020
Hey guys I just bought a mini spear gun and Im a little confused on how to rig it.. I followed the instructions but It seems that I'm missing something. I'm left with about 30 cm of line after wrapping it three times around the line release and line holder on the nose cone. After that I need to tie the the line through the hole in the nose cone, Except there's just one problem.. I can barely get the end of the line through the nose cone hole with the rest of the line blocking it. Even if I could it's pretty difficult to keep tension on the eLastic expansion ring whilst tying the knot. Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_192551430.jpg
    IMG_20200628_192551430.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 508
  • IMG_20200628_192529221.jpg
    IMG_20200628_192529221.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 973
Tie the bungee into the nose cone first, then do your wraps. You can do it in "your" order first - but only to find the correctly lenght of the line. So, bascially do what you did in your pics and then mark where to tie the end into the hole. And then do it the other way around. The extra 30cm or so is just to be cut off.

Also, next time, better to post in the sub forum for pneumatic spearguns under spearguns.

Also, while I hate to tell you this, you bought the smallest possible gun and power will be very limited. It’s basically for ultra closeup shots and nothing else. If there’s a way for you to return this gun then seriously consider that and get one 1-2 sizes up instead, which will be much, much more usable. A 70 is a very good starter gun with decent range and once you get an even more powerful gun you can keep the 70 for bad viz or hole hunting.

If you really wanna keep this gun, then rig it with mono as soon as you are comfortable with it. If you keep to a 1.4mm mono or less, you should feel quite an improvement over that thick nylon it came with. Personally, I would also get rid of the shaft with the interchangeable tip as they are super draggy and instead put a nice 7mm shaft on it. Others will prefer the 8mm (?) that came with it. But even with these two "upgrades" it still wont change the fact that your gun will not be that powerful. So be reasonable, practice restraint and don't take shots on fish that are not extremely close to you.

Finally, I checked your other posts and saw that you are looking for lobsters - if you got this small gun to shoot the lobsters then check your regulations to make 100% sure that is legal in your area. In many places around the world we are not allowed to shoot them. Hand grab them, yes and sometimes snaring. But no piercing.

Finally V2, I am not trying to be douchey but I also noticed you said that you are very new to freediving and don't like to go deeper than a few meters. To me that sounds like you are very, very much a beginner. Nothing wrong with that at all, we have all been there. But please make sure you educate yourself on how inherently dangerous this hobby is. Find a buddy, look for a club, take a proper freediving course - whatever it takes for you to not get into trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: DivingNomad
Tie the bungee into the nose cone first, then do your wraps. And next time, better to post in the sub forum for pneumatic spearguns under spearguns.

Also, keep in mind you bought the smallest possible gun and power will be very limited. It’s basically for ultra closeup shots and nothing else. Hate to say this, but if there’s a way for you to send this gun back then consider that and get 1-2 sizes up instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok will do, cheers. That works if I readjust the eleastic to the last wind in-between the two ends and cut the line to exactly the right size. Its the opposite of what the instructions say. Kind of annoying that mares can't give decent instructions that actually make sense. They originally gave me confusing instructions that weren't even directly for this gun. Had to download the exact one from the internet. I chose this gun cos I only really hunt for Cray's atm. The gun is for both protection and incase a decent fish swims right by which has happened in the past. Thanks for the help

Ok will do, cheers. That works if I readjust the eleastic to the last wind in-between the two ends and cut the line to exactly the right size. Its the opposite of what the instructions say. Kind of annoying that mares can't give decent instructions that actually make sense. They originally gave me confusing instructions that weren't even directly for this gun. Had to download the exact one from the internet. I chose this gun cos I only really hunt for Cray's atm. The gun is for both protection and incase a decent fish swims right by which has happened in the past. Thanks for the help

OK, as long as you don't ever shoot a lobster (I looked into your regs just now). And still, for your other purposes, I'd personally swap the gun for a bigger one if possible. I promise you, you will outgrow this one very fast whereas a 70 is still small, swings fast but can take very decent sized fish. Also, poking is the common way of deterring sharks, and I wouldn't want to have to poke one with such a tiny gun.

Reactions: DivingNomad
No, never. I'll have a think about sending the gun back... It seemed like a good size to swim with in shallow water. Good point about the shark, Its about half a metre long unloaded so that might be good enough.

No, never. I'll have a think about sending the gun back... It seemed like a good size to swim with in shallow water. Good point about the shark, Its about half a metre long unloaded so that might be good enough.

I am just thinking down the road for you if you really start going after fish, too:). If you can't swap it, then don't feel bad.
After a while, rig it with mono, consider a new shaft and you can certainly take some pan sized fish or bigger if you close the range.

Last edited:
They usually give you more line than you need, so you either cut the end short or use some of it up by creating a loop using a bowline knot. To get the line through the anchor hole chop the end off on at an angle and melt by putting in a flame to seal the strands. This narrow end lets you thread the hole, I have done it many times. The big rubber ring goes in the line using granny knots and leaving slack between the two at the end anchored to the gun. The instructions are reasonably clear and have been used for the previous Sten 87 model.
Spear storage.jpg
Mares spear assembly.jpg

Hey guys I just bought a mini spear gun and Im a little confused on how to rig it.. I followed the instructions but It seems that I'm missing something. I'm left with about 30 cm of line after wrapping it three times around the line release and line holder on the nose cone. After that I need to tie the the line through the hole in the nose cone, Except there's just one problem.. I can barely get the end of the line through the nose cone hole with the rest of the line blocking it. Even if I could it's pretty difficult to keep tension on the eLastic expansion ring whilst tying the knot. Please help.
If I'm following the issue, you are rigging this for the first time and need to determine where on the line to tie off to the hole in the nose cone. Make a mark on the line where it should leave that hole, after putting enough tension on it to stretch the shock loop a bit - so that it will hold the line in place while wrapped. You don't need the shock loop fully stretched or it can make wrapping the line needlessly difficult. It only takes a bit of stretch to hold the line in place. Then unwrap the line so you have access to the hole and tie a loop or knot so that where you marked the line ends up right at the hole. It might take a couple of re-ties to get the tension in that shock loop to be not too loose or too tight. Then you can trim the line and lightly melt the end to prevent fraying.

I like to tie bowline knots for easy untying and because they create a loop, but they are bulkier than other ways of doing it. If you use something like the bowline that creates a loop, that initial mark in the line will only serve as a rough guide to where to tie the line, since the loop and knot take up some room in the line. Basically, some trial and error in tying is inevitable.

Good luck and happy hunting!

That metal eyelet is not something that I have seen before, usually it is just a hole in the muzzle line wrap hook. The knot is a bowline forming a loop that will swing and not break the tip off the line wrap hook. An even simpler way is to put a granny knot in the line and pull it up against the hole on one side.
muzzle loop R.jpg
I have five line wraps on my "Miniministen".

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT