• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

HeLp - Im A NooB

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jama1988

Apr 15, 2007
hey everyone, im very new to spearfishing, ive been using a small speargun and i just bought a larger one, when i have been using the smaller one in the water i tend to just let the line (line holding the end of spear to the gun) float around in the water. i was wondering if i am meant to be wrapping the line around the little latch thing near the trigger and will the latch let the line go when firing? sorry im a hell noob to this, thanks

yes, that is your line release. Wrap your line around that and the notch near the muzzel and this keeps the line from floating around. When you pull the trigger, the line release releases the line and hopefully get a fish

Just in case you were wondering how the line should be wrapped, you could check the "how to rig a speargun" sticky. I think they have a few mentions of the ways to wrap a line.

I just started too, and i remember this was a topic of confusion at first(exactly how to wrap the line, there are numbers of ways to do it). Generally, with most guns, you just run the line, up the shaft towards the muzzle, then back down towards the line release beneath the gun. Then, from the line release, it will run back towards the muzzle where it is clipped to the bungee. so... in summation... rear of shaft forward to muzzle. muzzle backwards to line release. line release forward to bungee. Make sure that when everything is set, it is smooth and not twisted or overlapped otherwise you could get a tangle when you fire.

thanks guyz, i have a undersee australia zap 1000 speargun its a bit dodgey but its what i got at the moment (looking to upgrade to a RA soon) and the line release is on the right side of the gun and not beaneath it and the small spring is right on the tip of the muzzle. also the line release isnt very flexible should i be worried that when the gun shoots the line wont release and the gun will stuff up

If the gun is rigged correctly you should very rarely get line stuffing up. The stiffer line is an advantage in that once free it is a lot less likely to get wrapped around your wrists, fins or gear when you are dealing with the fish. In my area most spearos are using dyed fishing monofilament of 200 to 300 lb breaking test.

David

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT