• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help me choose

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

aesop

Deeper Blue Addict
Mar 2, 2006
Hello. I've recenly come across a few more options for guns. I was gonna get a Picasso Century, until I came across some American guns with dirt cheap shipping. Here they are...

AB BIller Mahogoany, Teak or Padauk (all about the same price)

Jbl Woody 38 special double sling or a sawed off triple sling

Also, what is the difference between the Biller LTD's and the regulars? Is it the piece of wood they use to make it? how much of a difference is there? Would it be worth saving $200 MORE dollars to get a LTD?

I really like the idea of having a woody, opposed to an aluminum gun.

Thank you,
Chris

Reactions: seaman
I looked into those a little last year. I think they are relatively powerful, inexpensive & robust. I recall that there is a small muzzle customization that is popular for one of those brands, either the JBL or SeaHornet/A.B. Biller,...I think it was the seahornet. Not really used much in the UK -- they seem like over kill for here -- but seem popular in the USA & the Sea Hornet is from Australia (I think the A.B. Biller is a Sea Hornet or modified seahornet).

Some don't like the line attachment to the spear (a ring around the spear). I read one thread where somebody had brought up an issue with accidental spear release on one of the brands (don't recall which), although I have heard similar stories of one of the popular euro-brands too (probably fixed long ago). Putting on too many big bands might have been a contributing factor. Might be worth searching the existing threads.

never been impressed with the quality of the Billers.

if you are looking at a JBL for your neck of the woods I cannot recommend the JBL NW Special enough. ugly, heavy and slow, it has tons of power for the close up shots in the rocks.

I found the standard .38 Special to be grossly underpowered

aesop said:
Hello. I've recenly come across a few more options for guns. I wasI really like the idea of having a woody, opposed to an aluminum gun.

Thank you,
Chris

I guess some allu spearguns are really good. The primary reason to use wood in a speargun is to take advantage of the ballasting that a massive piece of wood can provide,bsides of looking good of course. That's why the high end speargun manufacturers use Teak wood as a regular choice. I guess the Master America is a nice Euro gun to deal with, but it seems that you will never go wrong with a RA or a Rabi. If you can afford a little bit more you can go with a Wong regular hybrid. You wil get the right set up for the kind of game that you need. The hawaiian wizard will make just the right spell and will make your dream come true. You cant' go wrong with a Wong!!

that is a lot of gun for a rookie and for shooting lings in a hole.

but if you've got the spare change.....

I think I'm gonna get the JBL sawed off woody for now. It sounds and looks like a good first gun. Not too big, not too small. I'm gonna go to the local dive shop and hold it my hands before I buy it on the net though.

You guys never did tell me what the difference is between A LTD and a regular teak gun. Is it the obvious straighter peice of teak, or what?

Anyway, thanks for all your help, I now have everything picked out, including gloves. I'm gonna get some 7mil gloves.

Last edited:
7mm gloves for spearfishing? Where are you diving? I think mine are 2 or 3mm & are fine in the English Channel even in Nov/Dec/Jan (& possibly Feb./March too).

I'll be diving anywhere from NorCal to British Columbia, I'd rather get golves that are too warm than not warm enough.

I thought about getting dry gloves, but how do they seal with a wetsuit?

Here, we have a "instadry" gloves and dry gloves, what the difference and how will each seal with a wetsuit?

1st pic = dry
2nd pc = instadry

Attachments

• drygloves.jpg
    drygloves.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 203
  • HNDIG.JPG
    HNDIG.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 210
Amphibious said:
that is a lot of gun for a rookie and for shooting lings in a hole.

but if you've got the spare change.....
Talking of Ling Cod, good picture of a guy called Pablo in the Pacific Northwest (I think that is a 70cm Rob Allen railgun with reel) [click image to expand].

Seems like they can reach a decent size too:martial :
ling-cod-1_oceanpg.jpg
combo_fishing_trips2.jpg
435_larry_giant_ling.jpg

Attachments

• Pablo_Lingcod.jpg
    Pablo_Lingcod.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Reactions: seaman
The limit here is 60inches. I can't wait to get in the water, I'm dieing. Thinking about renting gear for a day, just so I can go hunting.

Chris there's a manufacturer that makes a dry glove with a reversed bell-neck latex wrist seal on it. It just seals against your skin and your wetsuit rests above the seal on your wrist. The 7mm will be fine though and much easier to work with.
In BC there is no size limit for the Ling at the top, but I have heard hey aren't that good to eat when they're big. I have seen them almost 6' long though. Scary, with friggin' huge heads. Cabezon have even bigger heads!
Peace,
Erik Y.

wow those ling cod look like something out of a horror movie. they look a lot like the goosefish that we got here in RI. they come up to the top and eat frigging seagulls! (hence the name goosefish) god those things r scary....would hate to swim into a cave and come face to face with one of those things. actually, after an encounter with those teeth, you might not have a face.

aesop,

These are the gloves that are going with me to BC this June. They are by Henderson and can be had at www.scuba.com

These may even be the gloves Erik has referenced in post #12 above.

Jim

:)

Attachments

• gloves.jpg
    gloves.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 209
Reactions: Amphibious
Mr. X said:
I looked into those a little last year. I think they are relatively powerful, inexpensive & robust. I recall that there is a small muzzle customization that is popular for one of those brands,

Hi Mr X Do you mean the Euro muzzle conversion as pictured?.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. I found a pair of 7mil Hendersons at liesurepro.com, so I'll probably get those along with my gun and a few other things. I really want to support DB by buying from scubastore.com, but I just can't afford the shipping cost. I may have to make a paypal donation pretty soon intead.

Cheers,
Chris

The Biller LTD has a single piece of wood the entire length of the gun. the handle is attached below the barrel. The other Biller guns use one piece of wood in front of the handle, aa separate piece behind it, and a handle that the two pieces fit into. Cheaper, but not as rigid. For shorter guns it should make no difference.
Howard

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT