• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help me out guys!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nicky

May 10, 2002
Hey guys.
The other night I was practising my statics and was going really well (for me :D ) I did my PB (2:00) quite comfortably, then tried another one and couldn't get past 1:15! What happened!? I was really cut up about it :vangry :head :waterwork

Nicky

how long did you leave between attempts? althought your blood will fully re oxegenate almost instantly on your next breath,m it takes 8 minutesn or so for your body tissues to resaturate themselves with o2.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? cos there is a certain amount of evidence to show that oxygen resaturation times are related to age.

Check the profile, gives date of birth ;). Unless I read it wrong, the age is 16.

How does age affect it then? Is younger supposedly better for freediving or is it something that could improve with age?

Matt

Originally posted by DevonDiver
Also, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? cos there is a certain amount of evidence to show that oxygen resaturation times are related to age.

humm, i am also 16 and would be interested in this evidence...
where could i find it (a link to it, or anything of the sort)

would this evidence be pointing that the younger you are the longer the resaturation times, or the shorter?

then tried another one and couldn't get past 1:15! What happened!?

you exhaled to early?:duh just a guess :D

thanks

Yeah I'd say you exhaled too early too. You get some great advice round here, like "hold your breath longer". Excellent stuff.

:head

Matt

I could write a book of those! Glad my advice is useful to someone b/c it hasn't been doing me much good!:cool:

it appears that the cells in younger freedivers are so busy still growing, that as they resaturate, the continued oxygen loss is greater than in a fully grown adult. i am not sure whenther the effects are significant enough to affect your breathhold by as much as you describe but it's something to bear in mind. my only other advice is just to calm down and cut back. the more you try, the more worried you are on each occasion that you will not make a personal best or that you time will decrease, and the more likely it is to come true.

take a couple of days of and just have another go when you feel ready, and dont try to go for a pb each time. work up from maybe 70% or maximum 1st attempt, 12 min rest, 85 2nd and then go for it.
always remember it is supposed to be fun

Thanks everyone - yes I am 16.
Yes maybe I did exhale early - thank you for that spirited advice :)duh :hmm :D )
I left 2 mins between attempts - is this too long or short? What does everyone leave?

Ok I haven't done it for a while - I'll have a go tonight and let you know how I come along - No paying out on the time though ok?

Nicky

Heya Nicky - you weren't still thinking about that first aid thing were you? :D

Hey Nicky,
there are variables, but a good way to start is to always leave the amount of time for breathe-up the same as the last hold.
So, if you held your breath for 2 minutes, then breathe up for 2 minutes after, then hold again for hopefully longer, say 2:30, then breathe up for 2:30, etc, etc.
A good technique is to DECIDE ahead of time that you will hold your breath for a certain amount of time, and that nothing will stop you (within reason of course).
For instance, one day I DECIDED that my first hold would be 4 minutes....and guess what? That's right, 4 minutes accomplished, because I made up my mind that it would happen.
So think about your goal, imagine seeing yourself do it, then do it!
Make sure you are relaxed as possible during the breathe ups, and try this:
when the 30 second countdown comes, hold your breath for 10 seconds, exhale and breath 3 quick breaths, hold for 10 seconds, then exhale, 3 quick breaths, then do your big breath-hold. Let us know how well you do....go on my "Static Challenge" thread under Freedive Training and get in the game!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Last edited:
Thanks Erik (no thanks Loopy)
Ok I will try the three breathe thingy - I tried again last night but to no avail - same thing happened.
When I am doing statics I have a sheet of paper with times ten seconds apart, then I tick them off when I accomplish them.
I don't think I should go in the freedivers challenge yet - I'm pretty crap at the moment :D

see ya
Nicky

PS Loopy you are a Ding Bat (no I was not still thinking of first aid!) :t

Maybe you are trying too hard. Perhaps a more relaxed approach might work better. Instead of forcing yourself to reach some time-based goal, toss out the stop watch entirely (or don't look at it at all until you are finished).

Instead, plan out a sequence of static apneas with pre-planned rest periods and breath-ups. Just do each one, trying to relax as much as possible, counting the contractions until a pre-planned number is reached. For example, plan to do a set of 6 apneas, with 'n' slow deep breaths before each one (after 'm' minutes rest between), and stop each time after some number of contractions (perhaps you could stop the 1st one after 4 contractions, the 2nd after 6, etc. on up to 12-15 contractions or so). Again, don't worry about the elapsed times at all -- these are just practice sessions. No point overdoing things unless you are training for competition or something like that.

If you are curious about the times (which is only natural), don't look at the watch during the apnea --just stop the watch when you are done and record the time, but don't worry about hitting any particular goal. Just regard the times as experimental data points, and see how the times vary from day to day and week to week. My guess is that your times will gradually improve.

Nicky ; the static challenge thread that Erik mentioned is not a competition , just a bunch of us who want to improve our training by sharing experiences and helping each other .
Please feel free to join .

Dangerous

I think that it's not the safest of things to decide what time you are about to reach before the attempt. It could be pretty dangerous while in the water.

Well , sure ; you still have to "listen"to your body . I think it's good to set youtself goals though .
Also if you and your spotter have a good understanding the danger should be minimal .
IMHO sambas are overly feared due to lack of knowledge . I am NOT saying you should become blase about it ; simply that having a spotter who is knowledgeable would alleviate the possible risk .
Never train alone , the pool can be one of the most dangerous environments to a freediver .

Thanks guys,
All that you have said makes sense to me.
One question: I once (when doing a static in a pool - like just floating) felt like my whole body was shaking even though it wasn't. What was happening?

Originally posted by Nicky
I once (when doing a static in a pool - like just floating) felt like my whole body was shaking even though it wasn't. What was happening?

3 choices:
a) you were shivering
b) you should find a new dealer :D
c) electrical problem with the pool!:D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT