• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help needed for buying gear

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Blinkypoo

May 4, 2005
Hello everyone

Let's start out with saying that I'm new to the realms of spearfishing. I've been freediving ever since I came into contact with water yet due to the Swedish laws I've not been able to try spearfishing. Though this is about to change since my brother has moved to Norway :king (to the cold waters of Tromsö).
So to get to the point, what gear would you recommend for mainly the waters of Norway (chances are that I might spearfish in England and in France also).

For cold water go with a 5mm to 7mm wetsuit. The water that i hunt in is around 50 degress fahrenhiet, ( i think thats like 10 or 11 degress celcius), and my 5mm suit keeps me warm enough for a full day of hunting.
Good Luck

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I am freediving at the moment and have the gear for it (suite, fins, mask and so on). My question was what spearfishing gear do I need? What size of gun? Do I need a float or something else? I really just now that a gun is something I need, the rest is kinda blurry at the moment.

Thanks

1.A knife good sharp and not too big.
2.A gun start with a 75cm euro gun.
3.A float optional but recommended.
4. An anchor for the float
5. Some way of holding a fish on the float (Stringer)
6. Another Spearo to go out with;)
7. Some luck

Thanks Huan
Like your straite reply!

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good 75cm gun? Was looking at Commanche from Cressi.

7. Some luck

Ha ha! I can see it now, the fish swimming everywhere else except infront of my gun :martial

But some day the fish with absolutly no brain whatsoever will emerge from the depth, place it's body directly infront of my only to proceed in scratching itself on my spear tip rofl

Hi Blinky,
Any eurogun will be ok. Cressi Comanche is very popular where I hunt. You can also go with Beuchat, OMER, Imersion, Sporasub etc. These are the cheaper options. If you are willing to spend some more you can buy a railgun like Rob Allen for example or some fancy European wooden gun :)
The length depends on the visibility. I have no idea what is the viz like in Norway. Basically 75 is the shortest band gun you can buy and is usually used in really crappy viz.
Hope that helps.
Dobs

Basically 75 is the shortest band gun you can buy and is usually used in really crappy viz.

You can find shorter guns, but if you're not hunting in holes, it will be a waste.

Sure that a 75cm is a good starter gun, but it really depends of the visibility. If you hunt crystal clear water, you'll get frustrated of seeing fish that you won't be able to reach. But again, the gun will be the best on dirty water days... there's no perfect compromise!

Tell us about your water's conditions.

Hey Blinky!

I recommend that you take a look at the norwegian site for spearing www.frivannsliv.no
I assume you will have no trouble reading norwegian? :t
You should be able to find pretty much all relevant info on spearing in Norway on the above mentioned site, including hunting tecniques, advice on equipment, data on the available species, record lists and much more...
(No, I'm not affiliated with the site in any way rofl )

Other that that, I can tell you that you'll often have pretty decent visibility in Norway, so I'd recommend a 90 cm gun at least, up to maybe 110. You'll simply get tired with a 75 too quickly.
And a bouy w/ signal flag is required!!! It is your primary piece of safety equipment, after the knife.

Best regards,
Dane.

riffe knife is a good knife

a 90cm gun is a good starter gun length wise.
dive flag
float line
float
stringer

read up on the fish species you will encounter and know what the bag and size limits are.

Good luck and safe hunting!

Hi Blinky, apart from the gear which has been mentioned and will supply all your needs, unless you encounter whales, you may also find the tecniques and weight balances are diferent, spearos generaly use more weight to use less effort on laying up on the bottom, but as a freediver you will know all about how thats done so only thing to say is enjoy and good luck.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT