• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help on speargun configuration

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Shea9

Jul 6, 2016
I recently bought a Cressi Comanche speargun (100cm). It came with a plastic trigger mechanism that I replaced with a stainless steel Nitro CR trigger mechanism from spearamerica.com. This increases the loading length by 9.5cm. I live in Northern California where I will be spearing most my fish. I am hoping to spear bigger fish and even use this gun for my trip to Flordia in a few months. I am thinking a 7mm shaft would be a good all around thickness for the fish I want to hunt. Would you recommend a shaft length 40cm longer than 110cm now that I increased the loading length? Any recommendations on tough shafts that will hold up and not bend? I am having issues figuring out which bands to buy. Should I get 2x16mm bands or 1x20mm band? Or maybe even a different band configuration for high accuracy and high power? Please let me know what you think for optimal power and accuracy. I also have no problem loading any amount of thickness of bands. What length of band/bands would you recommend? Thank you all for your reply. Happy and safe spearing

I am also going to change the muzzle so that it would be able to handle thicker/multiple bands. Suggestions on muzzle modifications would be great

Well the new trigger can handle the load but you need to know if the barrel wont flex on that kind of pressure... 1 20mm probably wont cause any problem but 2 16mm are a bit more powerful and for a 20mm band a 7mm shaft should be fine but if u plan on putting 2 16 u could run into some shaft whip so a 7.5 is better for 2 16mm bands and for the over hang of the spear shaft a good relation is that the over hang should b between 30% and 40% of the gun length so for a 100 cm gun go for 30 or 40 overhang

Reactions: Shea9
Sounds like you have a 110 cm euro gun now. We typically recommend a shaft 40 cm longer than the barrel so 150 cm shaft. You might like these shafts:

http://www.makospearguns.com/Euro-Mech-Mini-Sharkfin-Tab-Spears-with-Flopper-p/msfs.htm

Extremely strong south african steel.

If you have an open muzzle you can use the mini shark fin shafts, if you have a closed muzzle then you will need notched shafts.. we have those too.

As for you band confiuration, a single 20 cm band will be faster to load but will take more effort/strength. I am unsure if the barrel or mechansim is designed to handle two 16 mm bands. Another option might be twin 14 mm bands.. easy to load and more power than a single 20 mm band.. We hand make our bands on the day you order them - so you get the freshest bands possible.

We stock shafts, band material, wishbones and tools and just about anything you need for freediving and spearing - and all of it is sold at the MAKO DIRECT price. We have no retail stores, so the reduction in overhead and mark up can be passed on to our customers.

Dive Safe
Dano

Reactions: pyromallat
Sounds like you have a 110 cm euro gun now. We typically recommend a shaft 40 cm longer than the barrel so 150 cm shaft. You might like these shafts:

http://www.makospearguns.com/Euro-Mech-Mini-Sharkfin-Tab-Spears-with-Flopper-p/msfs.htm

Extremely strong south african steel.

If you have an open muzzle you can use the mini shark fin shafts, if you have a closed muzzle then you will need notched shafts.. we have those too.

As for you band confiuration, a single 20 cm band will be faster to load but will take more effort/strength. I am unsure if the barrel or mechansim is designed to handle two 16 mm bands. Another option might be twin 14 mm bands.. easy to load and more power than a single 20 mm band.. We hand make our bands on the day you order them - so you get the freshest bands possible.

We stock shafts, band material, wishbones and tools and just about anything you need for freediving and spearing - and all of it is sold at the MAKO DIRECT price. We have no retail stores, so the reduction in overhead and mark up can be passed on to our customers.

Dive Safe
Dano
Hello dano , i went to visit your website and you have some really nice products but i was running into a couple of problems... one of them is that i heard that u had an upgrade for the predator rail gun which give it a thicker and stronger barrel i think its called iconic but i couldnt find anything about it on the website ... and the website didnt give me the shipping cost to lebanon... any help would be very much appreciated ... will have to check my country's law for importing spearguns and if all is okay ill probably be getting a few items from you sometime soon
Thank you in advance
Elias

We offer two basic models : Predator and Oceanic.

The Iconic was discontinued some time ago. The Oceanic has a slightly larger barrel diameter and extra material to form the enclosed track, so it is somewhat more robust, but all our barrels are extremely strong and there are no issues with two bands, even at the longer barrel lengths. The Oceanic is an enclosed track railgun, something different than many people are used to seeing.

Also, we have made significant improvements to the Predator Handle (we are selling the third generation right now) so we had a hard time seeing the benefit of selling the Iconic model - so it was dropped from our line.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Spearguns-Railguns-s/37.htm

If you want an estimate on shipping, send your proposed order to info@makospearguns.com and include your shipping address and we should get back to you with estimated shipping for your order within one day.

thanks
Dano

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT