• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help with a speargun decision

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Aug 11, 2017
Hello from Maine everyone! I've watched from afar for the most part, but am struggling with spearguns at the moment. I have used the search button, google, and other sites, and got some great information. My issue is with the guns I have purchased. With all diving SCUBA, and freediving I do my best to buy local. I have 2 dive shops for my state between 60-150 miles away, and they have a couple low volume masks and that is it. The freediving community is about non existent which makes the spearo community empty. I have been polespearing invasive bass in a local lake and wanted a gun as well and would like to add northern pike. Just to post my depth is within the person I SCUBA with comfort level for depth I just have a longer dive time and they hAve no interest in ta king up freed icing past draging me up heAvenue forbid . Back on topic I ordered an Omer Kanaloa which came with a stained grip, and broken line release. I liked the size and weight, but it didn't feel like the quality I wanted so I sent it back and got a Rob Allen 80cm tuna I love the feel I just don't like not having a groove to put the mono through on the underside. My ocd does not like it resting against the band so when I charge it, the band stretches losing contact with the mono and I lose tension on the shaft. Not a big deal but I'm a one gun guy and want to be truly happy for years without wanting to get a new one because of a little detai in the back of my mindt. I'm mot sure where to go from here. I'm looking for an 80cm dual band gun that will last. I was looking to spend around 250 tops but am definitely willing to open up if the quality is there to 400 MAX. Mako was another thought on my mind but I've seen some complaints about the trigger mechanism. Can anyone think of something that fits that description? My location and social setting are not making this easy and rilong the dice withough actual inot is getting old.

Thanks everyone,
Dave

Reactions: J Campbell
I can't edit and posting from my phone was a terrible idea.

Hello from Maine everyone! I've watched from afar for the most part, but am struggling with spearguns at the moment. I have used the search button, google, and other sites, and got some great information. My issue is with the guns I have purchased. With all diving SCUBA, and freediving I do my best to buy local. I have 2 dive shops for my state between 60-150 miles away, and they have a couple low volume masks and that is it. The freediving community is about non existent which makes the spearo community empty. I have been polespearing invasive bass in a local lake and wanted a gun as well and would like to add northern pike. Just to post my depth is within the person I SCUBA with comfort level for depth I just have a longer dive time and they have no interest in taking up freediving past dragging me up heaven forbid . Back on topic I ordered an Omer Kanaloa which came with a stained grip, and broken line release. I liked the size and weight, but it didn't feel like the quality I wanted so I sent it back and got a Rob Allen 80cm tuna I love the feel I just don't like not having a groove to put the mono through on the underside. My OCD does not like it resting against the band so when I charge it, the band stretches losing contact with the mono and I lose tension on the shaft. Not a big deal but I'm a one gun guy and want to be truly happy for years without wanting to get a new one because of a little detail in the back of my mind. I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm looking for an 80cm dual band gun that will last. I was looking to spend around 250 tops but am definitely willing to open up if the quality is there to 400 MAX. Mako was another thought on my mind but I've seen some complaints about the trigger mechanism. Can anyone think of something that fits that description? My location and social setting are not making this easy and rolling the dice is getting old.

I'm not sure where you have heard there are issues with the MAKO mechanism, but there are none AND we offer an unconditional 3 year warranty.

As for the Rob Allen gun, that is a good gun and should perform well for you. If your only issue is a slot for routing the shooting line - perhaps you can notch the existing muzzle? I don't have a RA muzzle in front of me to examine so I really cannot offer any specific suggestions.

Without really understanding your concern, I cant honestly say a MAKO would bring you any more satisfaction than your current gun.

Perhaps you can take a few pictures of your current line routing at the muzzle on the RA gun and we might be able to offer some suggestions. The Rob Allen (and MAKO) guns are both quality, well designed guns and should be great for most people, right out of the box (without any tweaking).

Grip size would have been betterr wording, I'm not a big person and with 5mm gloves. I actually have a set of your fins and socks I'm in love with and cant wa it to put the fiberg lass blades in when my technique is beyyer. That's a bit where I'm coming from, I want something I love because I don't have the area to collect guns based on my plans for the gun. I'm currently looking at your predator 80, it's been sitting in my cart for a week now its just becoming a tough decision. I greatly appreciate your input and attention to the community.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT