• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Herbert Nitsch about his Record Attempts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

st3fan

cu @ the bottom
Nov 2, 2002

thanks for posting the account.
i'm amazed at the assymetry of his dive profiles - for constant at least. around 0.7m/s going down and about 1.3m/s going up! i found it interesting that he wore no weight for constant too. i suppose that partly accounts for his very slow descent.

Thanks for the story and congratulations to Herbert for his records!

Herbert or st3fan, could you explain what Herbert's special mask is like? Fluid filled with contacts, or something else?

Reactions: donmoore
Thanks again!

My "special mask" is simply a sphera without a nose part in which I glued a rivet, where I can plug a small hose on. I use the hose for warm-up and fun dives, but for maximum dives I don't use the hose and let water enter the mask. The advantage is, that I can see for the first 10m and the last 5 meters, opposed to filling the mask before the dive. I use a nose clip, but normally no lenses, although I do have lenses.

Attachments

• special mask.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 679
Reactions: Jon
The advantage is, that I can see for the first 10m and the last 5 meters
Hebert,
It’s an honor to have you on the board. When you don't use the hose, is the reason you see in the first 10 meters, because the mask hasn’t filled up yet? Is it noisy when it’s filling up? Why are you able to see in the last 5 meters?
Thanks in advance,
don

I think he means the last 5 m on the ascent (clear the mask with expanding air over the hose).

I clearly remember when I asked Herbert about his "special" mask. He told me that this is top secret and if I would know what it is all about, he would have to kill me

Of course Herbert was just joking. Unlike some other experienced freedivers, Herbert share's his great knowledge with anyone who is interested

Great report, thanks Herbert. It's good to have freedivers on board who are forthcoming with info. Congrats on the record, and good luck in the future.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Nice report! And congrats again!

Concerning the descent/ascent profile, it is very similar to what I found works best. I use a 0.7-0.8m/s descent, and a 1.4-1.5m/s ascent. I start sinking at 30m. This took years of experimentation to discover, and the fact that Herbert found a similar pattern means we are probably 'zooming in' on the optimal profile for inhale dives.

In 2001 when I did my record attempt I was descending far too fast: 1.00 - 1.05 m/s average, with a 'terminal speed' of 1.2 m/s.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

my profiles have recently been shifting in this direction also!...

throughout most of the summer i was weighted quite heavily and reached a (streamlined) terminal speed of 1.1m/s and ascended at around 1.1-1.2m/s. now i have trimmed back a little on weight and my descents have slowed down to around 0.85 and my ascents are up to about 1.4m/s - arms down of course. i still sink early though - from around 16-20m max. sometimes i like to do super-fast ascents from a reasonably comfortable depth (say 70% max), at around 1.6m/s - all the way to the surface - great fun!

my profiles aren't quite as assymmetrical as Herbert's and Eric's but they do seem to be heading in that direction now... one clear benefit is that it makes equalisation a little easier during the descent.

i have also started to do away with my usual 40m warm-up and just do a series of statics and negatives then go for it. one benefit is that my legs are that much fresher, but there may be down sides too...

Thanks so much for that post! It is great to able to read about WR dives from the divers themselves. Congrats Herbert!
Herbert's mask is a simple pipe mask. There are a few threads on how to build one in the archives. http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22196&highlight=pipe+mask
I built one and for the most part they are a pain in the butt to eq. because when the lungs are packed it is very difficult to just let a "puff" of air into the mask. Much more air wants to escape. Wearing a nose clip is really nice though. I would imagine fluid goggles are the best way to go.
Jim

Last edited:
One of the things that strikes me about this sport is that 1, it is difficult if not sometimes impossible to watch it, as a spectator or even video footage (due to zero vis as in Herbert's lake) and 2, that we need the competitor's report to truly understand what happened during the performance. The reason for that is that so much of what happens during the attempt is only observable internally, by the performer. We cannot "see" what happens unless the performer describes to the best of his/her ability what has occured!
Makes sense?
It really is exciting to read the first hand accounts, and we gain knowledge as a by-product.......or vice-versa
I remember the first time I read such an account. It was Eric Fattah describing in detail a morning leading up to and including a very deep (67Metres?) dive at a competition. I learned tons of techniques and was entertained at the same time. It drove me to try harder and experiment. Same with Herbert's account here.
By contrast there are many attempts and records that we hear "nada" about, unfortunately.
We are lucky to have these people here on board.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

It’s very nice to see so many who are interested in my dives, however I think it is a lot easier to get the whole picture when talking from person to person.

St3fan, thank you for assisting with your answers!

Don, ...yes the first 10m I can see because of enough air left in the mask; one can not hear anything from the water entering; the last 5m – I mean before reaching the surface, I can see because the air which is still trapped in the mask is expanding, although some air is lost, especially when going head down. I never use the pipe (hose) when going for a maximum dive.

Jim, to control the air to equalize the mask is a bit tricky in the very beginning only, but I guess it also depends on the mask used- the smaller the mask or goggles are and the less flexible, the harder it is to control the equalization. It is so easy and comfortable to use (once you get comfortable not seeing very much). I found it very irritating that water is entering my tear channel when flooding a mask before the dive.

Last edited:
Eric, I guess some freedivers are just a little lazy on the web, definitely including me. Also it is very hard to find a middle coarse between short readable and very detailed reports.

Originally posted by Herbert
Eric, I guess some freedivers are just a little lazy on the web,

Yeah, no problems. I don't mean to say that a diver must tell his story, only that we are lucky when they do!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

I really like this paragraph :duh

Herbert- is it fun to dive to 100 meters or do you really have to psych yourself up for it? How much deeper do you think you will go in the future?
Jim

I’m not sure if I understand the expression “psych up for”.
I would rather call it a kick. The deeper I go, the longer the freefall, the better the kick.

Reactions: tuomo
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…