• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Here's my second attempt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dobs

Nov 17, 2004
Here is my second attempt on a homemade gun.
It is an 80 cm long teak gun. The shaft is OMER, 115 cm, 6 mm. Bands are 19 mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pastor
You should change your shaft, omer shafts are not good quality and very crispy. I am using 6.25 euro sub spears on my 80 and 110 cm gun. They are best shafts i have ever used and it should suit better to your 19mm bands :)

Thanks persiko, I appreciate a compliment from a craftsmen like yourself!
Murat, I use a 6.25 Demka shaft on my other gun and I'm pretty happy with it. However I couldn't find the same shaft at a 115 cm lenght, so I bought the Omer. When the supplier here gets the Demka shafts, I'l buy a new one. However the gun is pretty accurate with the 6 mm one too. Four fish with five shots so far :)

You also use demka rubbers?

My long (30cm) omer power 18mm don't give enough velocity to the spear on my 110 cm gun. The one short size available here is 26cm which will be too short for 110. May be i should change them with demka 19mm rubbers next time :hmm On the other hand 21cm omer 18mm throw 6.25mm shaft quite good on my 80 cm gun :hmm

I can't hit a nail properly most days, so I am in awe of the craftsmanship you have :)
Beautiful....
Peace,
Erik Y.

Murat said:
You also use demka rubbers?

My long (30cm) omer power 18mm don't give enough velocity to the spear on my 110 cm gun. The one short size available here is 26cm which will be too short for 110. May be i should change them with demka 19mm rubbers next time :hmm On the other hand 21cm omer 18mm throw 6.25mm shaft quite good on my 80 cm gun :hmm

Anytime you need a really good screw-on single rubber band go for 20mm Megabooster or 20mm Cressi G20. A bit pricey but you cannot get more from any other single 20mm band!! 6.5mm or 6.75mm shafts are recommended with those rubbers in order to get maximum performance.

yeah but i am using 6.25mm shaft so they might flex the shaft :hmm

I tried Megabooster's (amber right?)
but the problem I had was that the metal collar was too big for the Picasso Century muzzle ,and would not fit.
The amber Demka bands give good smooth power though.

Murat, a friend of mine is using Cressi G20 rubbers on a 90cm Comanche gun with 6 mm shaft and he is very happy with the set up. Actually this set up is very popular around here, so I don't think you'll have any problem with the 6.25 shaft. Imersion megaboosters are also very popular here both amber and black.
Thanks for all compliments on my gun!

I thought the megabooster rubbers are from picasso :hmm am i wrong???

Available brands here are cressi, omer, sporasub

The booster and the megabooster rubbers are from Imersion. I've heard only good things about Cressi G20 and Omer 18 mm. Never heard any comments on the Sporasub thicker bands like 19 mm or so.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT