• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hey Deeperblue

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sciencemike

Gear Whore
Aug 30, 2007
Hey everyone,
Just saying hello. I have been reading the posts for the last few weeks and i just thought i would extend some hospitality and respect for the protocals of the site. Great beginner pages btw.

About me...
My water habits are very strong, im a triathlete (olympic distance-1/2 iron man), avid snorkeler, and experienced Bubble blower, not the greatest hunter, and a very respectable underwater photographer. I am new to freediving -last two months.

My stats are pretty weak at the moment, 2:30 static 45m DNF etc (Dont have a DYN yet, getting my omer ice fins later this week), but i am very interested in improving those numbers, and definately want to take a freediving course assuming the financial/temporal constrains of grad school allow it. Well thanks for allowing me to bore you.

Mike

Last edited:
Hello Mike!

Welcome to DB. Do you have any nice under water photos you want to share?

I have omer ice fins as well and they are nice fins :). I also took a freediving course and they help you out so much.

Hey everyone,
Just saying hello. I have been reading the posts for the last few weeks and i just thought i would extend some hospitality and respect for the protocals of the site. Great beginner pages btw.

About me...
My water habits are very strong, im a triathlete (olympic distance-1/2 iron man), avid snorkeler, and experienced Bubble blower, not the greatest hunter, and a very respectable underwater photographer. I am new to freediving -last two months.

My stats are pretty weak at the moment, 2:30 static 45m DNF etc (Dont have a DYN yet, getting my omer ice fins later this week), but i am very interested in improving those numbers, and definately want to take a freediving course assuming the financial/temporal constrains of grad school allow it. Well thanks for allowing me to bore you.

Mike

welcome scienceMike! DB's a great place to learn and explore :chatup

what are you studying at grad school? a marine science perhaps?

kp

@ Lockedin - Ty

@ kelp princess - I wish I was studing Marine Biology, Im studying "Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics" but as much time as i spend in the pool/ocean and traveling i might as well be studying marine biology lol. I am quite a nerd though and happen to nerdify everthing i do - apology to everyone in advance.

@ Morg - Sure i have some on my lab computer here that ill be glad to share. These are from my recent trip to [SIZE=-1]Anse Chastanet just outside Soufrie in St. Lucia. They were all taken "Snorkeling". WOW I look back now at that and realize how much depth i was missing out on and how much bottom time i could have had. This site and its amazing knowledge has really changed my life.

[/SIZE]

Attachments

• Web_02.jpg
    Web_02.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Web_01.jpg
    Web_01.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Web_03.jpg
    Web_03.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Web_04.jpg
    Web_04.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 116
  • web_05.jpg
    web_05.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: Morg
Cheers dude. Your numbers are excellent, and with your fitness level, awareness and the personality, you will be as good as you want to be IMO.
Try to enjoy the process as much as the achievements I'd say 8^)

Thanks! those are some nice pictures :). Some would also say that you may have missed out on some nice meals here as well haha.

@ Erik - Thanks. I'm with you on that philosophy. Its always the journey that i find more fun, for the destination is just another point of embarkation

@ Morg - Cameras often exaggerate the sizes. lol...The frog fish is about 4 inches, halibut is 12 inches, and the octo is about 6 inches, and the rock fish is about 1.5-2 foot. So hardly a meal, more like a appetizer. But on the beach about 100 feet away from the two frog fish there is a great hut that has amazing shrimp and crab hoagies for ~5 USD and ice cold diet coke for 3 USD.

On a serious note thanks to some farsighted officials in the St. Lucian government this area is a marine refuge and the fish are plenty full but forbidden to take, you cant even dive with a knife or gloves here. But the water is clear, calm and blue and quickly drops down to far over 150 feet. Halibut sometimes pack so close they almost touch on the good real estate.

PIC of Park Place and two peacock flounder enjoying the view.

Attachments

• Web_06.jpg
    Web_06.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 115
@ Erik - Thanks. I'm with you on that philosophy. Its always the journey that i find more fun, for the destination is just another point of embarkation

On a serious note thanks to some farsighted officials in the St. Lucian government this area is a marine refuge and the fish are plenty full but forbidden to take, you cant even dive with a knife or gloves here. But the water is clear, calm and blue and quickly drops down to far over 150 feet. Halibut sometimes pack so close they almost touch on the good real estate.

PIC of Park Place and two peacock flounder enjoying the view.

Hi Mike
Welcome to Deeperblue. Very nice pictures indeed. :) Deeperblue has a gallery as well and you are welcome to post all your piccies up there as well.

DeeperBlue.net Gallery - Main Index - Powered by PhotoPost

Thanks for your input and introduction, we hope you enjoy your stay :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT