• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hey from Cabarete, Dominican Republic

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dadsmell

Jun 21, 2012
Hey guys

I have just started freediving and spearfishing on the Northcoast of the Dominican Republic. It has been seriously over-fished around here, so it is not easy to find anything that is worth spearing, but I love being under the water so I get out as often as conditions allow it.

Hoping to get down to the South of the island at some point as it seems that there may be more fish down there.

Anyway just saying hi. Anyone living in DR who wants to get together for Spearing trips - please feel free to contact me, I'm always looking to meet like-minded people and find some decent spots.

Cheers

Oli

Hey Oli,

I'm from Canada, but done some spearing in Portugal and Australia, am planning on coming to Cabarete in January for two weeks, mostly to surf but was thinking of bringing a small gun or hand spear, just to get out for a snorkel and maybe catch some dinner.

Whats it like around cabarete? I've also been reading/googling about Lionfish? you see many, I hear theyre pretty yummy.

would love to go for a dive when I'm there.

cheers

Jason

@Jason - sorry buddy I only just saw your post here! Shame I missed you. Let me know if you're back in the area, but try a PM next time cos I get a notification.

@Apneaddict - Yeah lots of Lionfish around here - taking advantage of the overfished waters I guess. I haven't had the balls to shoot any so far... just too scared of spiking myself on one of their spines!

no prob,

will let ya know when I get back there, might be a year from now though.

cheers

jason

Some carry those "medical shears" to cut the spines off, before the lion fish is even off the non-barbed spear.

Wear gloves an be careful. Good eating and you're doing the reef a favour.

I saw one in Cuba that must have been 5 lbs+

Hi guys, is there any freediving activity in DR? a fellow freediver friend is looking for buddies there. Thanks!

Nothing formal so far as I know Walid. Here on the NorthCoast we are very close to deep water tho :)

Thanks! how can I contact you? is it easy to find depth? good conditions (currents, viz..)? Cheers.

I sent you my email via pm.

Here in Cabarete it's very easy to find depth - we are very close to deep ocean. In other places I m not so sure. Our vis tends to be mediocre since we are downwind of a rivermouth and that brings silt. During the summer wind is a major hindrance - you have to go early in the morning before the winds kicks in around 10am. Currents are not too bad.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT