• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hi all

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

firefly

Mar 2, 2005
hello out there :wave

i just spent a long time reading all sorts of threads and it seems like i found a good place. i am swimming a lot in the pool here but i always try to dive a bit when i am on vacation at the sea. i already have many questions but i think i read a bit first before bothering you guys.

well, i see you later

sandra

Reactions: Alison
Welcome, both of you!
Don't be afraid to ask anything, there's a good beginner's section, a basic freedive glossary: [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?p=216035#post216035"]Glossary of Freediving Terms - Page 2[/ame] -scroll down to the last post. The search function is like Aladin's Lamp, it'll get you almost any info you need.

Adrian

Already said hello to SR but welcome firefly, Im somewhere cold too BRRRRRR :(

thanks for your replies. that's a nice welcome :thankyou
your link, adrian, was very useful. thank you for that. and alison, it's great too that there are some girls around. it seemed to me that freediving was mostly for guys.

bye

sandra

Hiya Sandra
There are quite a few girls here, have a look around we all post quite regularly. To be honest Im not really a freediver, it takes far to much effort for me (Im to lazy :D), Im more of a hunting type with my roots in scuba (dont mix the two though), I am in awe of some of the achievments of the pure freedivers here.

Hi Sandra, belated greetings! :) Another gal here, although kind of an infrequent poster, and also living somewhere cold (for the time being)! My background was in swimming too before I came here, but I learned a lot and am finally making some headway! I monofin, and just recently got my open water through SSI.
Plongée heureuse!

hi brianna
so which do you like better, the monofin or the normal fin (what are they called)?
bye, sandra

Tough question because I haven't had the experience or the variety of equipment to try yet, BUT I have to say I prefer monofinning over bi-finning just for the overall fluidity of it.
I like bi-finning for maneuverability, like for things like photography and underwater hockey and endurancewise. I like the mono because you can go really fast, it takes less effort, it helps build core and back muscles and i just generally zen out on it. :)
Having both is great if you can, but having a mono has been a lot of fun, and people really take notice of you when you have it. Great for meeting people!
I can't comment on which monofin is the best, though, but I have a Europalmas sprint fibre. A lot of people go with the Waterway brand or the Special Fins.
My next purchase will most likely be a good long set of bifins though, as I only have a short pair for snorkling and a stiff pair for SCUBA.

(just editing to add, I've never used this fin at depth. I don't know how it would behave. It's only ever been in pools, however I'm going to try it out more in open water this summer). Keep reading up on mono threads! They always change.

Last edited:
Welcome Sandra, it is great to have more gals around :)

Brianna......nice signature quote! My fav is "Not all those who wander are lost" :D

:) Thanks, I should try to keep that in mind when replying to a post where someone asks a simple question and I write an article. :p I was actually just going to edit it and make it shorter and to the point. Maybe instead I'll just apologize :duh

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT