• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi all!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

]-[@biT

Jan 24, 2006
Hi every body! What a great forum to post questions, get answers, meet fellow divers and people who like the sea.

I am from South Africa, near Cape Town. I am working on my website, specifically dive sites in and around False Bay. I will post something when it is up and running.

Have a great day, and safe diving where ever you are.

]-[@biT said:
Hi every body! What a great forum to post questions, get answers, meet fellow divers and people who like the sea.

I am from South Africa, near Cape Town. I am working on my website, specifically dive sites in and around False Bay. I will post something when it is up and running.

hi there ]-[@biT

now, how does one pronounce your name? rofl (brackets at bit?)

]-[@biT said:

False Bay? Isn't that a preferred home of Mr G.W.S? :crutch

Hi island_sands, it seems that we keep "bumping" ito each other today rofl.

I would like to think that diving is a good Habit, rather than a good bit of brackets :)

So I take it you have been to South Africa (Stellenbosch) and tasted some of the wines. Did you do any diving?

Sara, i think its H at bit
or maybe HOBIT?
i take it we need lessons in shorthand cellphone text writing:) :) :).

Anyway welcome to the forums, Whoever you are:) it is a cool site with tons of everything:) :).

Ok you beat me to it , Hi there Habit.

Hi Spaniard, that it is. There is an small island (with seal colony) within False Bay called Seal Island, that is where they take the photos of Mr GWS as they do the spectacular “breach” (jump out of) the water.

The island is some distance from the shore though. However the big fishes sometimes come in closer to shore. I personally haven’t seen one… or know of someone who saw one. You do read about it though…

]-[@biT said:
Hi Spaniard, that it is. There is an small island (with seal colony) within False Bay called Seal Island, that is where they take the photos of Mr GWS as they do the spectacular “breach” (jump out of) the water.

The island is some distance from the shore though. However the big fishes sometimes come in closer to shore. I personally haven’t seen one… or know of someone who saw one. You do read about it though…

Speak to Miles... he see 'em all the time! Do a search on Chronicles of a Blue Water Hunter.... :crutch

Hi there Habit, are you telling me that you live in an area renowned for GWS, and there is a known seal food sourse there, and you actualy enter the water Looking like one of these seals :) ???????. isnt that provoking fate????:) No seriously, i watched a docu about your part of the world and about the Flying GWS:) , absolutly one of the spectacular things of our world, we have GWS in the med but they are Very Very Very rarely seen let alone attack.

Hi Groupermadness, thanks for the warm welcome :)!

Yes, False Bay is known for its GWSs. I think South Africa and Australia have the largest populations of these beauties.

Just a few months a go a group of divers went out on a dive charter (we use mostly semi-rigid rubber ducks modified for scuba diving), two groups went in at basically the same time, and one of the groups saw a GWS. It just cruised past them and disappeared into the blue. The other group did not have a clue it was there. That is usually what happens in most of the sightings.

Thanks island_sands,

I don’t think I will go and look for them. When or if, not necessarily in that order, our paths cross I will deal with it…

Hiya

WELCOME to the BESTEST forum on the net!!!:D:D

Always good to have a fellow Capetonian on board!!

Regards
miles

A little late, but welcome anyway :). I look forward to seeing your website.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT