• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi from Ca

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mapo

Nov 15, 2005
Hello all.

I'm in Northern California. I'm a new freediver, been out for abs a few times and am interested in freedive spearfishing and freediving in general.

Look forward to meeting some of you in the future,

Mapo

Welcome mapo. I suspect that NorCal puts you in Uncle Sven's territory. If he likes you, you're in better hands than with AllState! :D

Reactions: icarus pacific
Hey Mapo,

Nice having you here. I'll be moving back to CA in 6 months to dive,kitesurf, build bikes, and enjoy some of the good life. Ive been asking as many people as possible of great locations in CA as well as some info on were they live and how the diving is. I would love to hear any information you may have.

Thanks man!

Oldsarge,

If you have any info on diving and were a youg guy like me would be most at home at in CA, I sure could us some info.

Thanks a bunch!

Hey UMPQUA.

What part of CA are you moving to? It is a big state!

~M

mapo,
what’s your closest coast line?
Uncle Sven is a great diver and a real great guy.

Hey,

I live on the SF Peninsula, so I'm 1.5 hours from Monterey and 2.5 from Bodega.

I'm thinking of doing a trip down to Jade Cove as soon as it calms down. Could be a fun place to do some freediving / single tank dives.

Mapo

Oh you lucky man.
There are abs to the north, White Sea bass in Monterey bay and rock fish all over. Salt point is a good north coast starting point for Abs and rock fish. Be sure to follow the ab regulations on the north coast. Jade cove can be fun it is exposed so watch the waves. You should find some nice jade because the waves moved the loosened the rocks a bit. Try steamers lane in Santa cruz during the summer when the waves are small. As to Monterey, Carmel has s few nice spots. Copper roof house, butterfly house, the best diving is south of point lobos.

Hi Umpqua,
The majority of the local diving seems concentrated at the Ventura Co line, Palos Verde Penninsula and the Laguna area in Orange County. Of course, if you're willing to split gas money, the islands off the coast are super but a boat is an obvious asset. Check with the guys on www.Spearboard.com in the California section for possible rides. One other possibility would be to catch the water taxi to Catalina from Long Beach. You could leave on the first morning trip and come back on the last one and have enough time in the day for some decent diving/spearfishing.

Uncle who? Wha??

Hi Mapo.

Diving, especially freediving, in Northern CA is centered around abalone. Spearfishing is a hit or miss, er... thing as the viz here tends to be crap. :martial The freediving community is growing, but it's till a calling up your buddies thing. SCUBA stuff is happening both North and South, up here the newbies and sporties go out of Gerstle cove in Salt Point, and it's awful tough to beat the Carmel side of the Monterey Peneninsula when it's not going off.

First and foremost is to get with a club of like minded divers- it will save you the time spent going into pl;aces where there's nothing and with the wrong gear. Depending on exactly where you're at, there are about 7 clubs that I'm in good, well OK standing with and 3-4 that I'm not, but now that I have daughters, it's all clear why. :chatup Let me or us know in better terms of youir location and I can hook you up with the right people and a shop. :king

PS...it's hitting the beach at 19' and blowing 45. Happy New Year.

Do divers commonly dive at Steamer Lane? The water doesn't look too treacherous in places, and I confess that I've had thoughts along those lines. Welcome mapo, you'll find info, connections, and especially friends on DB. Enjoy.
Oh and Happy New Year.

Most of the year Steamer lane in undiveable. Don’t plan on diving there any time soon. The vis is 0 to 3 feet and the swell is too big. The summer and fall is different. The water is calm and the vis is 3 to 10 feet. Some times Ling cod come congregate there. You will know the lings are in because they are everywhere. I work the outer kelp edge toward seal rock. Use the same access points as the surfers. Good luck

Fair enough. Monterey isn't too far away, and it has some decent sites.

Re: Uncle who? Wha??

Thanks,

I was in Carmel on New Years Eve Day. It was ... wild.

I live in San Mateo, and like to shop at Aquan and Any Water Sports.

Mapo

icarus pacific said:
Hi Mapo.

Diving, especially freediving, in Northern CA is centered around abalone. Spearfishing is a hit or miss, er... thing as the viz here tends to be crap. :martial The freediving community is growing, but it's till a calling up your buddies thing. SCUBA stuff is happening both North and South, up here the newbies and sporties go out of Gerstle cove in Salt Point, and it's awful tough to beat the Carmel side of the Monterey Peneninsula when it's not going off.

First and foremost is to get with a club of like minded divers- it will save you the time spent going into pl;aces where there's nothing and with the wrong gear. Depending on exactly where you're at, there are about 7 clubs that I'm in good, well OK standing with and 3-4 that I'm not, but now that I have daughters, it's all clear why. :chatup Let me or us know in better terms of youir location and I can hook you up with the right people and a shop. :king

PS...it's hitting the beach at 19' and blowing 45. Happy New Year.

Bugger those shops. They're more for kids and wannabes.

Head on down to Stan's Skin and SCUBA in San Jose off Bascomb, tell Steve that Sven sent you, and you're hooked up.

LOL, but I wannabe a kid ;).

I'll check it out. Looks like a great shop, never heard of it.

Mapo

Thanks Sven,

I FINALLY got down to Stan's yesterday. Spent a couple of hours yakking with Steve. Picked up a pair of Omer Millennium, some booties and ordered and A.B. Biller Teak.

I'll head back Friday after work with my wife to get her setup with some fins and try them out in the pool. We'll take a freediving class from them as well, which should give us a good start.

Oh well, I guess I'm committed.

Mapo

Anyone know anything about the cambria area?I just moved there and am having trouble getting any info on it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT