• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rcreis

Apr 25, 2017
Hi, I'm from Torres Novas, Portugal.
I started my spearfishing experience in 2008, while I lived in Faial island (Azores), I was there between 2007 and 2009 and, it was very nice to dive 3 or 4 times per week. My dad used to do spearfishing, for years, but I didnt caught the time he was on duty, just my brother did, so when I started, I had no one to teach me some skills, I had to read and look for information on the web. fortunately spent little time some friends began to dive too, and with company it became more exciting.
I had the opportunity to hunt almost every day, eight hours a day, on the island of Faial and on the island of São Jorge. What a sea!!

I left Azores in 2009 October, and until 2011 I had not oportunity to dive. During that year I dived three or four times, one with some friends, and finally with my father, whom in just a few dives told me some tricks.

These last fisheries were always in Baleal and Peniche (POrtugal).

Since then I never got on the water again. Recently, I thought would be an interesting activity for me and my girlfriend would be exactly the spearfishing. She loves the sea, and I think she'll be amazed...

So, as I'm away of this subject since 2011, I decided to get closer to those who continue to carry out the activity frequently, and register here in your forum, to keep reminding and learning about the subject.

I used to have a 110cm gun, Beuchat Mundial C, wich I sold some years a go. This is the only piece of equipment i need to buy now...while I was in search of information about that, a friend told me that for the Portuguese sea where I'll do much of my Hunts, I don't need a gun bigger than 90cm, Due to the constant reduced visibility, in comparison with the sea of the Azores, where it used a weapon of 110cm... I was thinking of something like Beuchat Mundial 90, but since i left much models appeared and I don't know what better I can buy for less than 90€
I like to hunt for the hole but not exclusively, I also like to hunt waiting in the bottom or the bend of a rock, so I can not say that I only want a specific weapon for caves or holes.

However I will have an opportunity to hunt in the Azores again, and also in the island of Madeira, so I thought that maybe buying a specific weapon to hunt here in portugal, do not be a mistake, and then on the eve of returning to the islands to buy a Gun more dedicated to the type of sea found there and fauna.

In short, big doubts .... this is where you come in :)

My girlfriend is starting, but I would like also to get some opinions of a gun for her.

Welcome to Deeperblue! Glad you could join us. I recommend checking out the Spearfishing Subforum for specific questions on equipment. You'll have more luck in there.

Hi, welcome to Deeperblue, i'm also new in the forum and also from Portugal-Madeira, about the guns sizes as you know a 90 is probably the best all road speargun for Portugal mainland, for Madeira that is more like Açores sea i would say 100 depending of the time of the year and type of hunting.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT