• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi, new to spearfishing, in search of kit advice.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

the_unplugged

Jul 28, 2009
Hello all!

I'm new to spearfishing, having only tried it a couple of times before in Australia, to great enjoyment, and I've only now discovered it is legal, and indeed possible, in U.K waters.

I'm keen to get kitted out a.s.a.p, but I'd be much obliged if I could get some advice choosing gear. I've been searching this very informative forum, but can't make up my mind! At the moment, these are the options i've narrowed it down to:

Wetsuit: (all 5mm) Venom Apnea, Elios Triton or Apneasub 'The shadow', all from spearo.co.uk

Fins: Cressi Gara 3000 or Seatec Vela

Speargun: Omer Cayman HF2 80cm, or Seatec Gabbiano 77cm

I'll be using the set up both on the south coast and on holiday (go to the Med most years, normally Corfu). Just after any opinions of the above, or suggestions of alternatives if none of it's any good!

Thanks in advance.
Matt

Looks good to me. You need a weight belt and rubber is the way to go. If you can get them then bullets or D weights are better than H weights. I would go for a weight vest although it's not essential. A weight vest means not so much weight on the belt and more comfort in the water and walking down the beach. Worth considering some anke weights as well. Very useful for shallow water stealthing as they keep your fins silently sub surface. Knife, for me thats got to be an Omer mini laser (straps not velcro) and worn on the arm. Mask and snorkel, any suitable for freediving and personal preference to what fits you. A fish spike or fish keep. Simple pointed 6mm diameter x 120mm long stainless bar pointed one end and drilled in the middle with mono or braided line. Button compass on your watch, knife or computer strap is a worthwhile safety feature for a fiver.

If you have to go in to a shop and walk out with all this take your credit card and some smelling salts.

Enjoy.

Dave.

Welcome to Deeperblue

As you have mentioned Spearo Uk you can buy a beginners package from Dave that contains everything you need.I think Apnea in Jersey also do the same thing. Makes it cheaper to buy as well

After that you will make adjustments to suit yourself.

Happy Shopping

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…