• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi there from New Zealand!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

e.m.p!

Barnacle-Bully
Mar 29, 2008
Hi Guys,

Have been hanging around in this forum for a while, so I thought it would be nice to say a friendly Kia Ora to all of you!
I'm living in Wellington and Fran from No Bubbles team hooked me up to freediving. After a bit of testing, it dawns on me I'm getting seriously addicted.... Uuuuuhm, not the first time, thou. I'm a keen but untalented surfer (under water is easier), a talented but under-worked snowboarder and an over-worked but un-keen working drone in my job.

Happy diving and greetings to all freedivers around the globe!

Hut ab, Klaus

Gday e.m.p Welcome to DB
Im sure mosy of us here feel we are over worked and kept dry too long :(

Hi Mongrel, nice to meet you. I have heard you had a bit of wind over there lately... You're right? Looks like a bit of debris-diving for the wombats on the upcoming days, eh?

LMFAO

Yeah mate i went out last weekend but had to stay sheltered behind Garden island.
Also by the looks of it we got another full week of WIND, Now i know why Perth is known as the windy city :(

LOL! lets not talk about Wellington and wind....:blackeye

Yeah i watched a video awhile ago showing wellington and the planes trying to land there. Very windy
Is it really like that all the time?

Far out, it is said that some people are getting mad due to the wind constantly blowing! Northerly is not too bad, but the southerly is chilly as! They even keep it as selling point when trying to get rid of their properties: North-faced and windsheltered from any directions...!
I think I've seen the vid you are talking about – nice to watch and giggle, but believe me – you don't want to sit in any of these planes! I had it already a couple of times and you appreciate the pilot's skills, especially after even the locals applaud after another successful landing. I've been soaked afterwards...! (but I'm bad with planes anyway)

Last edited:
Yeah i watched a video awhile ago showing wellington and the planes trying to land there. Very windy
Is it really like that all the time?
Officially the windiest city in the world, probably by any measure you care to name. In spring, 100mph winds are no surprise. In fact last year (i think) had 26 days in October where winds exceeded gale force. Not so good for the diving.

You live in a pretty awesome place to be a free diver. I was able to spend a little time in the Bay of Islands in the beginning of 2007. I was amazed at how much life is in your waters. I am jealous to say the least!

Aloha
Jake

Hi Jake,

What are you talking about? I mean Hawaii isn't a shabby place either, isn't it! I assume at least 95% of the whole mankind thinks about seeing your place. (While few have heard about New Zealand - just kiddin').
Yes, I love this place. Bay of Island is pretty cool, I did some scuba last christmas at the Poor Knight Islands. Trust me, they're not poor, at least not under the sea.
How is the surf in Hawaii? Not much happening here at the moment...

Ka kite ano, Klaus

Not much for surf here either. I grew up on Kauai where there is always surf, did my share of competing, and my little bro is now a pretty successful pro. I moved to maui about 7 years ago, we have good waves but swell can be pretty fickle due to the blockage by other islands (lanai,molokai). But it has given me a chance to get into diving a little more seriously. Most spots are pretty over fished but you can find ones that are really alive. We dont like to disclose our good spots here, they are few and far between. SO yes I do love hawaii but I could see myself in N Zed pretty soon. If so maybe we could meet up for a dive or two:)

Sure, looking forward to it! NZ always needs nice people who can't stay out of the water and I'm always keen on taking a dip. Just today I've to skip statics.... Surf's "cranking" with 2-3 ft and offshore. We don't have that too often in the bay so can't wait to pick up my honey and move out here.

...was worth it! Had some really nice waves, thou it was already quite dark when I got there. Almost thought to keep on my wetsuit, cover my carseat with the boardbag and drive to the pool to do statics, but was too smashed. Life is good!

Reactions: shoutatthesky
Hey e.m.p. you're making me homesick bro!!!

No where deep to dive in Sydney. Say gidday to the dive Tutukaka crew for me next time you're out there.

Jeeez! This kept me worrying for a bit:
"I'll retract the rape complaint from the wombat, because he's pulled out,":D
ROFL

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT