• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi to all!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

5kgLifter

Jan 10, 2009
Hi everyone, I decided to take the plunge at last. My odd username, in case anyone wonders, is because I belong to a couple of bodybuilding/fitness sites and thought it would be nice to retain the same name on each forum. I will be on and off intermittantly for a while, due to finishing my final semester this year; but once the degree course ends, I will have a little more time.

I saw this site and figured it would be wise to join since I am completely new to all freediving techniques and I saw information on here which is beneficial; in addition to being able to raise any safety issues with the more experienced members, who I believe will be able to point me in the right direction. I'm currently awaiting a book (by Umberto Pellazzi ??) which I'm hoping will give great advice on the techniques needed. It's something I can get started with whilst I'm studying, and keep an eye on the forum for any areas that may be able to expand on what I read in the book.

I actually first saw this site about a year ago, but just took generalised information from it. :wave

5kg

Reactions: Salehthefish
Welcome on DB mate enjoy it...

are you really 5 kg lifter ? :D

Thanks for the welcome Salehthefish. Yep, I'm really 5kgLifter :); although that doesn't mean I only lift 5kg at a time, I chose the name to give 5kg weights the respect they deserve, since they don't normally get a lot of respect...and I started with 5kg weights since I had no others at the time. I don't go overly high on the weights unlike the men, but definitely higher than 5kgs.

Hoping to learn some interesting stuff on the forum.

Hi everyone, I decided to take the plunge at last. My odd username, in case anyone wonders, is because I belong to a couple of bodybuilding/fitness sites and thought it would be nice to retain the same name on each forum. I will be on and off intermittantly for a while, due to finishing my final semester this year; but once the degree course ends, I will have a little more time.

I saw this site and figured it would be wise to join since I am completely new to all freediving techniques and I saw information on here which is beneficial; in addition to being able to raise any safety issues with the more experienced members, who I believe will be able to point me in the right direction. I'm currently awaiting a book (by Umberto Pellazzi ??) which I'm hoping will give great advice on the techniques needed. It's something I can get started with whilst I'm studying, and keep an eye on the forum for any areas that may be able to expand on what I read in the book.

I actually first saw this site about a year ago, but just took generalised information from it. :wave

5kg
welcome, the book is great remember dive safe always.

Reactions: jay cluskey
welcome, the book is great remember dive safe always.

Thank you, and you're right the book is really great, and it was nice to see that it covered how weight training should be approached in order to get the most out of it for freediving; my routine is not built on hypertrophy so that's good already. :martial

Welcome aboard mate! I use to bodybuild and started the gym again about 5 months ago...been putting t/g a workout that is geared towards diving and overall general fitness...seems the gym/wts is not giving me my fix...the book is great as is the terry maas one:friday

Hi 5 kg!!! I use to compete in weightlifting when i was younger then officiated afterwards then bodybuilding. My Father was the Head Coach of the Philippine National Weighlifting Team way back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's.

Welcome to DB!!!

Elvis:friday

Welcome aboard mate! I use to bodybuild and started the gym again about 5 months ago...been putting t/g a workout that is geared towards diving and overall general fitness...seems the gym/wts is not giving me my fix...the book is great as is the terry maas one:friday

I had to have a small break from weight lifting and cardio due to an ankle injury, so at the moment I' also building fitness levels back up; any advice you can give on how you've patterned your weight lifting routine will be very welcome...from what I've read in the book, I'm assuming it should be more endurance based.

Orkneys???

Scapa flow is top diving. Some good German feats of engineering to behold ;)

Yep, Orkney...now on the Mainland, but used to live on both Stronsay and Flotta, Flotta being much the warmer of the two due to its location. People tend to really enjoy their experiences at Scapa Flow, and it's pretty much a water sports area in general with sailing regattas at each island every year etc. Strangely, this year, the only shop in Kirkwall that sells diving gear is closing down. :head

Hi 5 kg!!! I use to compete in weightlifting when i was younger then officiated afterwards then bodybuilding. My Father was the Head Coach of the Philippine National Weighlifting Team way back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's.

Welcome to DB!!!

Elvis:friday

Thanks hudasmt (Elvis), it seems there are quite a few that did weight training of some sort before moving over to freediving, that's encouraging. At least it's a good base fitness for the sport. Thankfully I never wanted 'big' muscles, just toned, although I have inspired an Australian female on another forum, and I thought my biceps were 'basic' size-wise, which they are rofl. I always loved underwater swimming as a kid, and couldn't get enough of it; I saw the first programme on freediving about 5 -7 years ago, and was fascinated, and decided it was time to follow a dream, but I also want to keep the weight training and cardio up, because I enjoy them. Since the weight training is only a 3-day a week full-body conditioning routine, I think it should be not too far off the mark already, so that's also promising...not too much change, if any, required.

Welcome from Texas! My specialty is 12 oz curls from bar top to mouth!

Thank you, and you're right the book is really great, and it was nice to see that it covered how weight training should be approached in order to get the most out of it for freediving; my routine is not built on hypertrophy so that's good already. :martial
that's good to know,i'm a very small person with a very high motab, so i'm always eating i swim alot so the book help me with alot of things like that.so do you get to free dive alot or swim?

hello tex!

Welcome from Texas! My specialty is 12 oz curls from bar top to mouth!
hi tex what"s up. the water here in trin is alittle milky, so alot of the scuba divers like myself are on land getting ready for carnival in feb, so the divers who have boats rent them out to make some money, have a boat?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT