• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi. Total newb here.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Gorax

May 4, 2005
Greetings to all!

I found this site with the aid of Mr. Google, and I must say it's pretty interesting. I've always wanted to get into diving (freediving especially) but there are always things in the way like work, lack of time, money, etc. I realize these little problems will always be there (unless I'm fortunate enough to hit the lottery) so I figured I should start getting past these annoying obstacles right now.

I live in eastern Canada, in the Maritimes to be more precise. This is where the problems begin; the nearest beach is at least an hour and a half away (driving). And from what I remember, it's also pretty filthy and occupied by a bunch of jellyfish, so that rules out the ocean. There are beaches nearby, but one is by a river and the other is by a lake. It's not coral reefs, but I guess it will have to do. The river gets kind of muddy at the bottom when you step in it, I'm assuming it would be hard as hell to see when you got past 10-15 feet, too. As for the lake, it's not too deep (I've reached the bottom before) and when it's sunny you can easily see even when you're at the bottom. The sight isn't too beautiful, but as long as you don't actually touch it it's allright :D There was an E.Coli scare at that place last year though. I hope it's okay this year. Lastly, there are a few creeks out there somewhere, all within an hour's drive. My dad used to take me there when I was a kid. Some places get pretty deep and the water is clear. I think it would be the best place if I can get around the "getting there" part. I don't think there's enough current in them to be dangerous.

Now a bit about me. I learned to swim when I was fairly young, but I always preferred playing in the water rather than doing laps like the swimming lesson teacher wanted me to do. That's probably why I kept failing the classes :hmm We used to have some kind of color system (I think it's levels now, or something); yellow was for complete beginners, then there was orange for people who still sucked but were better than the ones in yellow, then there was red, maroon, blue, and... I don't know the rest because I failed blue five times in a row and then quit. Yeah. I'm looking for the "embarassed" emoticon right now. Anyway, last time I went swimming was at a water park, in that pool that generates big waves. I was back to doing the doggie paddle :t

I'm wondering if I should take swimming lessons again before attempting freediving. I mean I would probably only freedive at depths no more than 10-20 feet. I just want to be able to go down there and swim/look around for a bit; I'm not too much into the competition aspect. It would be more of a "just for fun" thing. If it would be best to get back in the swimming lessons (assuming I wouldn't be put with the 12 year olds--hey, my ego!) then I suppose I could. There is a YMCA right next door. Their prices aren't exactly good, but... Hey, my birthday is coming up :D

My budget is fairly limited, so I probably won't be able to get some good gear right off the bat. I can probably live with some cheap-ass fins for a while though since I won't even be thinking of competitions. I'm mainly worried about the goggles; all the ones I've used in the past fogged up like crazy, or leaked (or both) and generally pissed me off.

Then there is the problem of too much work and not enough free time, but I think everyone has to deal with that.

I'm mainly wondering what I should do to get started in freediving. Like what's the first steps I should take.

Any information will be greatly appreciated :D

EDIT: I forgot to mention... Weeds. I HATE them. I don't know why, but whenever I touch one (or one touches me) I just pull my hand away immediately. I suppose I'd have to get over that, too. That's what I love about the creeks; all rocks, sand, and pebbles :D

Last edited:
LOL welcome Gorax ... that's quite an introduction :D

The cool thing about freediving is that it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. But the more you get into the more crap you will probably want :duh Look around or "search" the forums and you will find pretty much all the info you need in just about anything: masks, fins, etc.

Gorax said:
My budget is fairly limited, so I probably won't be able to get some good gear right off the bat. I can probably live with some cheap-ass fins for a while though since I won't even be thinking of competitions. I'm mainly worried about the goggles; all the ones I've used in the past fogged up like crazy, or leaked (or both) and generally pissed me off.
As a beginner, your equipment should be very cheap !

The priority for me are the goggles for the swimming pool (possibly with a nose-clip) and a good mask for the sea, the lake and the diving pit... First thing for me is to feel comfortable with my eyes, my nose and my ears...

You were right : the goggles are extremely difficult to choose ; you must have one pair which fits perfectly your face... The strap between the eyes should be adjustable... you should feel a perfect adherence to your eyes...

a little piece of advice if your goggles are foggy once in water : just spit into them !

depending on your nose sensitivity, a nose-clip might be useful... first buy a simple swimming nose-clip... afterwards you might buy stronger ones (but they are extremely expensive...)

I need to try dozens before finding the right one for me... and it has nothing to do with the price ! it is like a pair of shoes... The use of swimming goggles is limited to shallow water.. if you dive deeper with them on, you run a risk of serious barotraumatisms in the eyes...

Never put ear plugs ! it might be dangerous if you dive deep...

Your first mask may be a very simple and cheap scuba diving one, which will allow you to go underwater ; blowing in your nose will help you compensate for your eyes...

Your first pair of fins should be a pair of "swimming pool fins", that is supple fins (like Beuchat Contact Spirit or Cressi Rondine Clio)...

Should you buy from scratch so called Freediving fins, you might be unable to make proper use of them...

Then buy a light suit which would permit you to remain in water without being cold...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT