• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

High Cholesterol

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
High cholesterol is not healthy for anyone- freediver or not. Combining high cholesterol with the physical stress of freediving can only worsen the body's condition.

Apnea lowers the heart rate but it raises blood pressure. After one dynamic, my blood pressure was 200/110 which is right up there. I would imagine that high blood pressure and high cholesterol might possibly cause a stroke by loosening a clot. Others know more than I about this possibility.

My wife cut out dairy products around our house to lower her cholesterol and I ended going along with her by default. My LDL cholesterol went down 50 points without even trying.

Peace,
Glen

I had a blood test recently which showed me to have high ldl cholesterol. Considering I eat very healthily and exercise regularly, it was a bit surprising. Does anyone know if it's possible to have a biological predisposition to high cholesterol?

I've been dairy-free for ages, but for the last few weeks I've cut out red meat, eggs (apparently yolks are very high), and started eating a lot more fish and veggies.

"It turns out that wild game roaming around the savannah have much lower fat content than the corpulent, sedentary cattle we breed to eat (about 4% comapred to 25-30%). That explains why venison or buffalo meat is much drier and tougher than beef or pork. The fat of the wild game was also about five times higher in polyunsaturated fats; modern cattle are packed full of more dangerous saturated fats."

R. Winston "Human instinct",pg. 74.

I would not be surprised if pattern repeats for cholesterol. I also wonder how that affects dairy products. It would be nice to have explanation from nutritionist.

Yes, I still freedive. Until the blood test I had no idea I had higher than normal cholesterol. There are no symptoms; it's had no noticeable effect on my freediving performances. In my case, LDL levels were a little above average, rather than life-threatening -- otherwise, I might take it a bit easier...

I definitely wouldn't disregard ggarrett's comments, and if your cholesterol is dangerously high, it might be best to avoid freediving.

However, the overall effect of most exercise is healthier cholesterol and blood pressure levels. I would assume this is also true of freediving.

A lot of my non-freediving friends think breath holding must do more damage than good. My experience is the opposite, and I'm much fitter and healthier because of it. In fact, now I think of it, I remember reading an article which claimed apnea increased brain activity -- so really we should all be getting smarter! :duh

emmerthomp said:
I had a blood test recently which showed me to have high ldl cholesterol. Considering I eat very healthily and exercise regularly, it was a bit surprising. Does anyone know if it's possible to have a biological predisposition to high cholesterol?

I've been dairy-free for ages, but for the last few weeks I've cut out red meat, eggs (apparently yolks are very high), and started eating a lot more fish and veggies.
I hope you dont have to give up too much else red meat beer ,sex diving -If I had to give up all this id shoot my self now stuff living a long boring life :0

Reactions: island_sands
If you go to http://www.scubaboard.com/forums.php? go to Marine Science and Physiology and ask your question you'll get some answers from some doctors (doctors that frequent that forum) that are into diving and I would imagine that they would have a little bit of an idea about freediving also.

nice, i talk there to,w hats your name? im bikeflip22

there answers are always slow as molasses so i started talking here

Hey dude, start to spearfish more frequently (course eat what you catch) and you will see the big diference ...

drink Jamaica beverages (jamaica is a flower that grows here in Mexico and has a delicious sour flavor) i think the flower is Hibiscus, pretty common in a Mexican Market, like te one in L.A.

regards and eat more fish!!!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT