• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

High power pneumatic speargun?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Marulken

Aug 16, 2017
Hi

Im new to Spearfishing but had been doing hunting for many years.

When it comes to pneumatic Spearguns the main pressure camber is 20-25 bar on air.
Does anybody know why there is no CO2 Gun?
A CO2 Gun have usually 60 bar, seems that one could easy gett more pressure.
Does anybody know anything about this?

I don’t know much about C02 guns but I know they are very susceptible to temperature change and as some gas is discharged on ever shot the powered source has to be replaced quite often.
There must be other good reasons as well, in the U.K. they would have to be lincenced as the Co2 weapons are considered as fire arms.
Also... a modern, dry barrel air gun is a very powerful gun with little recoil and good reliability.

I don’t know much about C02 guns but I know they are very susceptible to temperature change and as some gas is discharged on ever shot the powered source has to be replaced quite often.
There must be other good reasons as well, in the U.K. they would have to be lincenced as the Co2 weapons are considered as fire arms.
Also... a modern, dry barrel air gun is a very powerful gun with little recoil and good reliability.

I have looked att dry/vacum barrel pneumatic Guns and they operate on 20-25bar.
To Exchange a cartridge after one shot is not that big of a deal, only a cost.
The russians have underwater Gun for millitary, that work upp to 20m.
To make a gas propelled gun with same effect would be sweet.
Maybe there is no need for extra Power....

There have most definitely been production C02 guns produced in the past, for what ever reasons they have obviously not proven popular.
Hopefully someone who knows about these things will chime in...

Reactions: Marulken
I have looked att dry/vacum barrel pneumatic Guns and they operate on 20-25bar.
To Exchange a cartridge after one shot is not that big of a deal, only a cost.
The russians have underwater Gun for millitary, that work upp to 20m.
To make a gas propelled gun with same effect would be sweet.
Maybe there is no need for extra Power....

Dude... what are you planning to shot @ 20m range? Whales?

Where are you planning to shoot whatever you plan to shoot? Viz needs to be more than great. Not to mention you have to be helluva shot to shoot a moving target at distance uv. ;)

Ohh... and spearguns (all fun ones at least) are prohibited here in grey, dull ol Sweden.
Yay! [emoji1236][emoji1236][emoji1236]

Where are you planning to shoot whatever you plan to shoot? Viz needs to be more than great. Not to mention you have to be helluva shot to shoot a moving target at distance uv. ;)

Ohh... and spearguns (all fun ones at least) are prohibited here in grey, dull ol Sweden.
Yay! [em

Yay! [emoji1236][emoji1236][emoji1236]

Well I was more thinking max 5-10m but having extra power could not harm Look the faster the spear shoots the less ahead lead and elevation will be needed. So speed is not a bad thing.
Questions is maybe such a gun would be require a licence And therefore is doomd..

And about sweden Well you can have a Spearguns but you need to get licens from the police and you cant fish with a Speargun. So yes your right.

And about sweden Well you can have a Spearguns but you need to get licens from the police and you cant fish with a Speargun. So yes your right.

Well, good luck with that. Maybe if you’re a cop you could write yourself a license, but other than that, forget about it! I know there are a few guys that have a license from waaaaaay back, like decades ago, but other than those very few I have not heard of anyone getting a license in the later years. When I applied the cops more or less laughed out loud.

You can own a gun, and you don’t need a license. But the gun can have only 1 band and the distance from the muzzle to the notch can be no more than 50cm. And you can’t shoot fish with it. And the effective range is like max 2m so you’ve gotta be pretty stealthy! ;)

But, you know, rules are meant to be broken. Especially stupid ones. I’ve seen a few YT vids of spearfishing in Sweden, so you go ahead and do as you wish! And post the results while you’re at it! [emoji16][emoji823]

Carbon Dioxide spearguns are expellable gas open cycle weapons whereas pneumatic spearguns are non-consumptive of gas because they are closed cycle weapons. When seeking a definition to separate spearguns from say air rifles the key attribute has been whether the projectile is shot out of the gun by a spring or is blown out with a large quantity of gas following behind it. Expellable gas spearguns are usually weapons controlled by the State where restrictions and permits apply, but fortunately for us there are no restrictions on pneumatic spearguns because they fall outside the scope of the regulations. As they are not limited by the operator’s strength in loading them carbon dioxide spearguns are banned virtually everywhere.

Carbon Dioxide spearguns are expellable gas open cycle weapons whereas pneumatic spearguns are non-consumptive of gas because they are closed cycle weapons. When seeking a definition to separate spearguns from say air rifles the key attribute has been whether the projectile is shot out of the gun by a spring or is blown out with a large quantity of gas following behind it. Expellable gas spearguns are usually weapons controlled by the State where restrictions and permits apply, but fortunately for us there are no restrictions on pneumatic spearguns because they fall outside the scope of the regulations. As they are not limited by the operator’s strength in loading them carbon dioxide spearguns are banned virtually everywhere.

So I see there is
Well, good luck with that. Maybe if you’re a cop you could write yourself a license, but other than that, forget about it! I know there are a few guys that have a license from waaaaaay back, like decades ago, but other than those very few I have not heard of anyone getting a license in the later years. When I applied the cops more or less laughed out loud.

You can own a gun, and you don’t need a license. But the gun can have only 1 band and the distance from the muzzle to the notch can be no more than 50cm. And you can’t shoot fish with it. And the effective range is like max 2m so you’ve gotta be pretty stealthy! ;)

But, you know, rules are meant to be broken. Especially stupid ones. I’ve seen a few YT vids of spearfishing in Sweden, so you go ahead and do as you wish! And post the results while you’re at it! [emoji16][emoji823]

Yes you can own one single rubber Speargun under 50cm but you cant fish with it, that would be illegal to do.
Do my Spearfishing in norway where it is legal to Spearfish.

So thank you for your explanation, so the reasons are clear.
No high power Spearguns due to licensing.

Not too long ago, there was still a co2 gun in production. It's called the Maco2. Look it up.
CO2 guns are great for spearos who for one reason or the other can't load a gun the traditional way (e.g. being injured or disabled) but still want to spearfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Maco2 is basically a revamped Pelletier CO2 speargun, however its use was limited to France’s overseas dominions (colonies) as it was illegal to use the Pelletier speargun in France. Hence like the Pelletier the Maco2 is very limited by rules formulated many years ago, but which have very little likelihood of ever being changed. Countries such as the USA have a much more liberal attitude to weapons and firearms, therefore someone in the USA could buy one and use it. The guy who runs the Maco2 enterprise would like things to change, however his ongoing campaign pretty much falls on deaf ears. You could use the Maco2 on land as it functions like any firearm, whereas most spearguns on land will destroy themselves after only a few shots, hence they tend to be self-limiting.

Last edited:
I can't recall who it was but a US spearo did indeed buy one as he had a shoulder injury and couldn't use a regular gun. He might have posted about it here but definitely posted about it over on spearboard. I have a feeling his shoulder heeled up and he might be back to bandguns now.

I actually saw one of these in, of all places, Sri Lanka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some of the Maco2 spearguns that I stored photos of a few years ago.

Maco2 Chargement Pistolet.jpg
Maco2 Fusil complet.jpg

The Pelletier spearguns tended to be anodized in red as can be seen here; prototype guns are finished in grey and probably painted.

Pelletier group R.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT