• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

High quality narrow, carbon fins needed

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

azapa

51% freediver 49% spearo
Jan 31, 2007
Yeah, another "which fins should I buy" thread.

I should know the answer, as I have tried so many fins. I thought C4 were my answer, but am so disappointed in their quality that I can't bring myself to buy another pair.

I have:
- C4 mustangs: split blade width-wise about 10cm in front of footpocket, (and foot pockets are too heavy)
- C4 falcons: split blade width-wise about 10cm from tip. they were also warped from the factory, to the point my fining style has been tweaked by them!

I am looking for:
- high quality 100% carbon (not carbon/regular glass sandwich like the leaderfins)
- soft (like C4 "25" scale)
- narrow: 190mm
- length about 80/85 cm
- narrow and comfortable footpockets (like cressi/spetton)

Any suggestions please.

Thanks!
-

Azapa,
I'm surprised you include Spetton footpockets. The pair I had were very wide, but very rigid and low across the top of my feet. Beuchat are really narrow like the Cressis.

How about the new Omer Stingray footpockets? DivingDane said they were fairly narrow.

I appreciate the input both.

The spetton FP's are very tight (low, squashed) across the toes but I have grown to like the *feeling* of 100% power transfer that tigtness brings.

Good tip on the GFT's, but they have too many damn models to choose from. Looks like these may be nice: Pesca - Pinne in Carbonio - Carbonio GFT - Carbonio GFT - Pinne in Carbonio - Riparazioni in Carbonio

they seem to offer Salvimar footpockets with them, that I have heard are good.

These also look very cool: Aero - Pinne in Carbonio - Carbonio GFT - Carbonio GFT - Pinne in Carbonio - Riparazioni in Carbonio but are 20cm wide ;(

Last edited:
Note. Will T had recommended MEROU fins, but I think they may have passed away to the light, no sign of their website etc.

U can buy blades and footpockets seperately :)
Carbonio look good quality, but i dont like these SalviMar f/p, Stingray f/p would be better choice i think :)

since you explicitly say "high quality", I suggest you the Trygons stereo fins:

Stereo Carbon Fins

it's astonishing how light they are. very powerful. I don't own them myself, but had the chance to try them in the pool. the only - big! - downside is the price: 394 euros. that's a heap of money for a pair of fins. but if that plays just a minor role - i would try them. I heard they are a bit delicate, however.

cheers,
ivo

Last edited:
I have some m-techs from a fews years back which are great (mtechnic), I got them with Omer footpockets, but I think he does options on pockets. As with ivo I have tried the trygons and they were awesome. I had a go with Fred Boyle's and he said they were some of the best fins he has used, which add weight.

Tim

Thanks for the tips. Those Trygons look very wide? I could not see any dimensions on the webpage. I like a narrow fin for kicking and streamlining.

You want narrow footpockets then go for beuchat or pathos. I wear these footpockets without socks and I like them very much.

Chosing a carbon blade must be hard with so much choice and such high prices. Do not be afraid of cutting the width down to 190mm with a dremel rotary cutter. I do it myself all the time.

Great vid Linda and those white rails look cool in the dark caves.

I have had a great response from the guys at Carboniogft so will try the new AERO model out. Will post comments here when they arrive. Thanks for all the input!

check out the new pure carbon fins on 'fins4u' website, got to try them the other day in pathos footpockets, awesome!!
I'm not sure that they are actually released yet, but if not the date is very soon!

So, witch ones did you buy? I want to spoil myself with the best fins money can buy (or close to).

p

Just like speardaver said, check out the pure carbon fins on Fins 4 U - Home
I don't think you'll get any better fins for that price. Just contact him, if you want any infos. You'll get your answer in no time.

Last edited:
Just like speardaver said, check out the pure carbon fins on Fins 4 U - Home
I don't think you'll get any better fins for that price. Just contact him, if you want any infos. You'll get your answer in no time.

Thanks, but they seem the standard "me too" 20cm wide. I like narrower (like 19cm or less). I seem to get a nicer streamline with them.

Thanks, but they seem the standard "me too" 20cm wide. I like narrower (like 19cm or less). I seem to get a nicer streamline with them.

Maybe the blades can be made narrower. I don't know. :confused:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT