• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Holding your breath without knowing it?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pacific

May 10, 2006
Has anyone experienced this? Throughout this week or so after doing some dry statics i realized I had been holding my breath without even knowing it hours later with no intention of training.

there's feeling is a slight pressure agaisnt the back of my throat and roof of my mouth and then my brain sends me a message "breath stupid!" and then im like ..what?

Is this normal? Its kinda weird to think about.

I sometimes hold my breath without knowing it. This happens more when I have been training a lot. I guess it's because of getting into the habit of not breathing... :D

Only when I concentrate very hard on something. I've been always like that. When I was learning to read as a kid, my mom used to check up on me because she heard this cycle of "gasp - silence - release" going on and thought something was wrong. I would inhale, then stare at the little bubbles in a comic book and try to make sense of the little scribbles, until I would eventually have to breath and break concentration.

But it worked, after a while I would read a word here and there and make up the rest from the pictures, but gradually I learned to read before being taught...Aah, apnea, what won't it fix ;)

Last edited:
maybe it's just like when learning a foreign language - after practicing a lot you realise at some point that you start thinking or speaking it by default. In my case it did not happen yet to hold my breath without knowing it though i try to hold it first thing when i wake up in the morning and i am still half a sleep and competely relaxed. i sometimes fall asleep again and i have no idea if i held my breath for 2 minutes or 11 (i wish!!!) maybe i will ask my girlfriend to time me one morning!

jome said:
Only when I concentrate very hard on something. I've been always like that.
I also do that. I don't know how holding my breath can possibly make anything easier, but it does.

Hum, I do it while spearfishing, on the surface, while resting, ARGGGGGGG!!!
But, I guess if you do it while sleep, is even worse.:)
Rob

A thread about holding your breath outside the pool...
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=49700"]Where do you do statics (apart from the pool)?[/ame]

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT