• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Holidays 2006 - spearing? Where to go? UK(/Fr)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
We often miss out on Holidays getting too busy & then missing the chance. So this year, I am going to make a real effort to get away on a few short hols.. I would like to include as much spearfishing as pos. To that end, I'd appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, location ideas (will likely not make all but something to shoot for).

Here is how thoughts are (v. roughly) shaping up currently:

Feb. - Disneyland France (I really don't want to go -- but this is an obligation). In the Summer, I hear some people combine with some time on the beaches. I am not really expecting to spearfish on this (in fact, the quicker & simpler the better)...but hey, if anybody knows a way, a place, do let me know.

Easter - South Devon/Dorset?

??? - trip to Hyannis Port, MA?

Summer
- Main hol: Channel Islands (Guernsey/Jersey?) or Cornwall:inlove.
- Weekends in Dorset (Hampshire/Devon?)(traffic?)
- N. Wales (Barmouth estuary/Porthmadog?)/Gower (Oxwich Bay?)

Oct. - Cornwall (Camelford/Lizard?)/S. Devon(/Spain/Portugal?)

Also, any worthwhile spearing around the Isle of Wight? I believe Lundy is an off-limits marine reserve. Ilfracombe? Combe Martin? Suggestions for S. Devon?

Last edited:
Re: Holidays 2006 - spearing? Where to go? Er..Greece.

Well....have teed up a good private villa for September at a place called Pefkos on Rhodes, Greece. Not sure about the spearing but I'm sure whatever there is will be challenging with such crystal water and probably fish at depth! Anyone been there?...Any Greek sprearos have any guidance re. regulations etc. Appreciated.
No Mr Cranny...you can't fit in my kit bag!

Attachments

• jeannott05_pool0304.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 162
  • jeannott05_pool0303.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 170
  • jeannot_swp5006m.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 163
  • front_garden_beach_m.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X

SurfnSpear said:
Well....have teed up a good private villa for September at a place called Pefkos on Rhodes, Greece....
Stop torturing me already!:head For family holidays, flying is out of the question:crutch - for a while anyway. I don't particularly like flying but to go to gorgeous places like that...I'd make an exception!.

Let us know how you get on.(..and if it is good for spearing, booking details too! )

Last edited:

Was there in Oct for a week, don't know much about the spearing. Plenty of smaller fish in the shallow water, but have to swim out a long way if going from the beach to get to any significantly deep water, good potential though. Water clarity was great and temp was in the low 20's.

Re: Holidays 2006 - spearing? Where to go? UK

Well, DL France is off (good!).

Guernsey is off (bad!) or at least postponed (perhaps, short foot based trip later in the year?).

Easter...Dorset?/S. Devon

Hiannis?

Summer ...South Devon?/Cornwall (Lizard/West Penwith? Clear water!?!)

Oct. ...Cornwall?(/Guernsey?)

Last edited:
Spearing St. Ives/Cornwall? Newquay?

Easter sorted (NE Devon).

Summer: Anybody tried spearing in/around St. Ives Bay (St. Ives/Hayle), Cornwall? I love the N. coast of Cornwall but have tended to aim for the south ocast when spearing. Keen to hear about peoples experiences in Cornwall.

Any thoughts on St. Ives area vs. Lizard?

Through a friend who knows a guy who has dived there for years...there is one hell of a bass spot in St. Ives Bay....I have had a good look over the aerial photos on multimap.com and there is potential I'm sure...but then I never venture far from my in-laws (Gannel Estuary/Pentire headland) when I'm down there...Cornwall I believe is good, but there is some opinion that Sussex is better?

Sounds encouraging . I too looked at the satellite images. The water looked beautifully clear but it seemed mainly a featureless (i.e. rockless, sandy) bay -- I was looking at St. Ives Bay rather than around the town itself though. Bass would be good.

I see there are two different Pentires in Cornwall. I know the other one, north west of Polzeath/Camelford -- quite serious seas & sea cliffs. Gannel Estuary looks attractive (from the web pictures). Do you spearfish around there/Newquay?

Sussex better - really? I don't know the Sussex coast --somebody told they sometimes use very short spearguns there because of the viz., although I know a guy who fishes there and seems to do very well. Surprised to hear that it is better than Cornwall though. Cornwall has a lot of coast though -- I guess it must vary for spearfishing. The north coast surf probably doesn't help. I was toying with the idea of visiting some of the small less popular bays around the west end of Cornwall...there are some beautiful spots around there & the water can be incredibly clear -- I have no idea if they are any good for fishing though! They are quite a drive, even from inside Cornwall though.

I see some other forums members have done well spearing around the Lizard. Might give that a look too. South Cornwall was pretty decent last year.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…