• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Holistic Freediving by Eric Fattah - a training manual

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jaap

Sep 15, 2015
If you are active on Deeper Blue, you probably know of Eric Fattah. Eric has been a big contributor here, and to freediving in general. In 2001 Eric set the first world record with a monofin at -82 m. He dove to -80.5 m in Vancouver without a wetsuit in waters that are approximately 5 °C (41 Fahrenheit), below a shallow thermocline. In an attempt to counter decompression sickness, Eric dove FRC (i.e. diving on an exhale) for four full years. Eric registers his deepest FRC dive at Vertical Blue at -71.9 m. His personal best in CWT is -104 m.

You may know all this. What you might not know is that he has written a training manual, called Holistic Freediving. It contains the most novel training techniques for freediving that I have ever seen. Holistic Freediving is full of highly specific trainings and cross trainings.

You can read a review of Holistic Freediving, download a sample, and download a document on equalization also by Eric here:

To read a review of Holistic Freediving, and/or download a sample, follow the link below:

http://freedivewire.com/holistic-freediving-eric-fattah/

If you are interested in the book, Eric sells it directly and you can get in touch with him through a contact form on Freedive Wire (use the above link). Alternatively, you can try to get a hold of him here (username efattah).

- Jaap Verbaas (editor of Freedive Wire)

The book seems really interesting I have a closer look at it.

Here is a question and maybe Eric can elaborate on it. I am not sure wether this subject is covered in his book but I wonder if it explains teaching methods for training freediving?
For example: there is a group of about 12 to 15 freedivers with all different levels of skills and experience. How would you approach to teach a group like that during pool training (twice a week). I am myself a student and not an instructor.
I have quite a lot of experience with training for others sports, particularly running and rock climbing, sports which I practiced most my life. Usually I divide the year in trimesters and follow a dynamic training schedule tailored to my personal condition to achieve milestones (competitions or specific trips) over the course of the year.
How do you approach training a large group of people, all with specific needs, to ensure that they too can peak around a given period? Would you divide the group up into smaller groups with comparable skill or have them tailor the exercise to their own specific need while still training in one group.
Taking into account the limited pool time and that there is only one life guard overseeing the training.
Working in buddy pairs?
I look forward to any advice or tips.

Good question.

In my opinion the lifeguards in the pool are not to be relied upon, at all, for anything freediving related. If you are doing any type of exercise that will cause hypoxia you need a buddy. We commonly train with 2 person teams.

There is no specific section in Eric's book that elaborates on group training. However, for each individual diver the training specifics are similar, if they all have a good base level of fitness. Eric's training also occurs in phases (like your trimesterly changes). You can adopt his methods for group training too, but you would have to think of the logistics.

Jaap (editor at Freedive Wire)

Thanks Jaap that makes sense.
The lifeguard on duty during training is in our case specially there only to look after the freedivers. He walks along by the poolside and is trained to respond appropriately. During dynamic training we often work with a buddy when we practice close to our limits.
I would love to hear more about two person training teams. Probably should start a new tread so I don't hijack this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not know this book was available. I can't get the link to work.

Thanks. I try to post an article every two weeks or so, but real life gets in the way sometimes.

@Kodama
You might research how competitive swimmers taper. The theory and technique behind it can be applied to freediving.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

@Kodama
You might research how competitive swimmers taper. The theory and technique behind it can be applied to freediving.

I am well aware of the principle of tapering towards the end of your training program and consider it normal practice both for strength and endurance training. Reducing intensity to optimize recovery and growth while maintaining optimal condition is always a good idea. However I am not entirely sure how it is best integrated in training for freediving. How do you apply it and what is your experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natalia's articles on training make more sense if read in the context of swimming taper applied to freediving... much of swim training is focused on lactic conditioning and power and by extension a certain amount of co2 tolerance. Apnea or discipline specific aspects (ie eq or chest flexibility) have to be addressed simultaneously and seperately.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Not yet but I would have if the price was a bit more reasonable. I will keep training with what I have learned elsewhere and during my latest training camp with Veljano Zanki. I might consider it again later if I ever hit a plateau. Maybe by that time there is a printed version for 45$.

Sent from the abyss

Sure thought I had already posted on this. I have the book and I think Eric has done it again, looked at something freedivers were doing, saw what was wrong with it and figured a better way. The book is not for beginners or divers who are not seriously interested in how to improve. If you are like me, very interested in improving, but not at all interested in competition, its much more than worth the price. If you are a serious competitive diver, you'd be a fool not to have a copy memorized.

cdavis I already use a coach (online) for training but figured this book (it's an e-book correct?) might add some extra info to my arsenal. I looked at the content list on the sample and I would say I am somewhat familiar with most of the topics but ultimately I am always interested in learning more. $95 USD is a pretty penny though!

If I remember right, its is available as a hard copy as well as ebook. Probably costs a bit more to cover printing and shipping. Ask Eric on that one.

The price, at first glance, looks high. Its a little book. But, if you know anything about Eric and the freediving revolutions his techniques have sparked, the price looks cheap. Like buying any book, you are gambling your $, but, at least for me, its a winner.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT