• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Home made barrel plug

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

x-frog

Sep 19, 2004
I have a problem with my T-20, the gun dosn't float anymore without the shaft, think the barrel has water inside. Is there an easy way to make a barrel plug??
Thanks

Last edited:
If it still under warranty give it to the shop to replacement..I have same gun and has no problem with it...

if the gun is under warranty get it changed (Like Murat says). However, I had an old gun with this problem, I either filled it with cocks (from wine bottles.... ere yeah had to drink a few bottles - what a shame!), or got two cocks, one for either end of the barrel and sealed them in with silicon - this seems to work a treat.

Can't send the gun to the retailer, because is to far away, I'll pay more for shipping than solving the problem. I can get easily the Rob allen plugs, will it work inside T-20 barrel?? think RA barrel have diferent diameter from Omer.

Try this first before you spend more money on new plugs. Remove the barrel and drill a hole in both of the existing plugs on each end. Yes, two holes. The second hole to relieve the air suction that will occur when the water is trying to drain out of the barrel. Most of the water should drain out easily. Allow it to air dry. Take some sandpaper and scuff the existing plug and the inside surface of the barrel next to the plug this will give the epoxy something to bite on to. Clean off with alcohol, acetone or some kind of quick drying solvent. Take two small stainless screws and screw it into the holes that you drilled into the plugs earlier. Lastly, seal it with a generous pour of marine epoxy. You could also try some silicone caulking, the stuff you use to seal cracks and corners in your bathroom.

Hope this works.

Gil :)

Reactions: Mr. X
I've had problems w/ the epoxy binding to the barrel on aluminium guns. The water still gets sucked in unless your pour a 2+" thick plug. The worst part is then trying to get the epoxy out of the barrel. If the perfierated seal won't move in the barrel then maybe the epoxy cap will do the trick.

I've heard of people adding a closely fitted closed tube and expoxying the entire length through the barrel. Of course you could always use 8lb density two-part expanding foam and fill the whole thing (do not use great stuff or any one part air cure product).

;)
UK Spearo said:
... I had an old gun with this problem, I either filled it with cocks (from wine bottles.... ere yeah had to drink a few bottles - what a shame!), or got two cocks, one for either end of the barrel and sealed them in with silicon - this seems to work a treat.

Corks?!! rofl ;)

I fill my gun's barrel's with expanding insulation foam. Get a small can, and shoot it in both ends. It'll seal it, and give some weight to the barrel, what will absorb recoil, without affect the buoyancy.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT