• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Homemade Cold Smoker

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pav

Nov 1, 2005
I made a smoker a few years ago which I have used with some success. Its basically a metal box which I fill the bottom with wood chippings. It has a shelf for the fish. I then place the box ontop of the gas bbq on a really low heat.

Its best described as a semi warm smoker! , it does stay reasonably cool but it certainly isn't a cold smoker.

I want to build an improved version for next year. 1st idea was too build on an old wheeled bbq frame a fire box , and connect it to a cool cooking box with some foil ducting. The idea being to try and create something reasonably compact for ease of storage.

Then some web searching I found someone smoking cheese with a smoker that used a soldering iron in a tin of sawdust to produce the smoke. This was placed inside a bbq kettle and the cheese smoked. This would produce I think a very cool smoke without ducting. See youtube link.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sivMMDnUEpc]YouTube - Build A Cold Smoker[/ame]

Anyone got any views on this as an idea. My plan would be to build an Oak Box as I have access to materials at work and create a smoldering tray at the base with a fitted soldering iron heating filament. I'd also fit a temp gauge to monitor the temp of the smoking box. Can anyone see any flaws in this idea or able to suggest how long a fish fillet would have to be smoked?

Thanks.

Reactions: Mr. X
Very topical, a guy a work was telling me about his plans for cold smoking last week. At least two programs featured smoking recently. River Cottage in Guernsey -- can't belive HFW went all the way to Guerney and got a Scot to smoke his fish, rather than the legendary SilverSmoker (Foxfish, you are claiming that as your trademark aren't you?;)). I think the other one was the Michelin 3-star chef with the laboratory equipment. He smoked something quickly with straw rather than wood chips. One of the programs used an old bread bin for the smoker.

My gas BBQ hood has a dial thermometer built in - probably bimetallic strip mechanism. I had one laying around the house for years, can't recall seeing it recently though. Will let you know if it shows up. My BBQ has a hole in the bottom with pan hung below to catch drips - maybe that could be used as a smoke inlet? I've also got(/had?) an old American Weber BBQ kettle (amazingly cheap in the US - good solid things too) somewhere which would be perfect for small quantities, it sits on a low tripod maybe 6" above the ground.
web_smo_joe.jpg

We had a bigger Weber for a while (free from a neighbour that moved) but never used it (lent it to a friend). We used to take the little one down to the local forest preserve instead. Looks like they make a smoker too:
Classic Fireplaces & Barbecue Centre
web_smo.jpg

Or you could improvise:
604962280_e83777906d.jpg

Homemade weber smoker

The Barbecue Pit - Bakersfield.com
31DKXG3RFGL._AA160_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish and Pav
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT