• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Homemade monofin/footpocket

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

m2b

Aug 31, 2005
Well, I think I finally did it. I have been trying to figure out a way to build myself a monofin, and had been running into nothing but breakable fins. The footpockets wouldn't break to save their soul but the blades weren't strong enough to last anytime at all, in one case it didn't even make it out of the house, LOL!!!!

After doing some searching on the forum I found Merlins post about using Lexan. I decided to try it and the first attempt was the one that didn't make it out of the house. Actually, that first one was using Crystallite(sp?), not as strong a form of Lexan. I was using a "full size" sheet, err 2' x 3', versus a smaller piece. I thought in the past week or so that I read that the maximum monofin size was 60 cm x 90 cm, err 2' x 3'. Hence why I decided to try making one that big.

I think the biggest part of my error was making the footpocket attachment area to big/long and it created for a big weak point. On all but the most recent fin they have always broken right at the end of the toes, the point where the blade started to widen out from the footpocket. I've always used a long footpocket attachment area, about 2-3 times the length of what I'm using now. I noticed in Merlin's pics that his footpocket attachment area was much shorter than what I had been making.

On the most recent model I made the attachment point much shorter. I knew by doing this I was going to have trouble trying to attach a footpocket. I've been using homemade footpockets.

My first footpocket was a piece of wood that I stapled plastic rug making material over to trap the foot to the wood. It did a beautiful job of trapping the feet for a nice secure footpocket. I also realized that to attach it to the blade it would weaken the blade structure. I was drilling holes through both the blade and footpocket and bolting the footpocket to the blade.

On my second footpocker idea I placed my feet on the attachment area on the blade and wrapped saran wrap over my feet and the blade. Then I duct taped over the saran wrap, including taping around the back of the foot. This provide for a real nice foot pocket. Loved it...but one problem. To be able to do this I need a longer attachment area, which I believe was creating the weakened structure.

In the most recent blade, Lexan, I chose to go for the shorter attachment area. As I cut out the blade I observed that Lexan is real strong/tough material, when they say virtually unbreakable, I do think they mean it. I tried using the saran wrap/duct tape idea but couldn't figure out how to get the footpocket to work the way it should. I aborted the idea.

I went back to the original footpocket idea with reservations considering the weakness that drilling holes in the blade would cause. I figured if the blade was going to break it would break more than likely around a hole. I went ahead and drilled the holes and put the wooden footpockets in place. Before I got them on the water I knew that more than likely I would rip out the plastic sheeting material that was wrapped over the foot before I would break the blade.

I took them out the lake on Saturday and tried it out. Man is Lexan tough material. It actually worked and worked beautifully. The blade held up real well. Upon getting out of the water I noticed that the plastic was starting to rip. I already knew how I was going to take care of that problem before I ever left home to test out the fin.

I came home and unstapled the plastic and replaced it with 1/4" welded wire mesh. Yes, it sounds crazy, but it is tough and I know it won't break or rip like anything else I have tried so far. I wrapped duct tape over both end to prevent the edges from doing damage to my feet or booties.

Tonight I headed back out and gave it another try. It worked beautifully, even on the one or two times I managed to actually come somewhat close to the correct technique. The footpocket does it's job of keeping the foot 'right on the blade" and still allowing the blade to flex.

I know from what i have been seeing so far that everyone has been complaing about the footpockets they have been using. Have anyone else tried to make their own footpockets. It might take care of the problem for you. Granted, I've never use a manufactured monofin to know how they would perform in comparison and it has been twenty years since I've had regular fins on my feet.

My fin seem to work quite nicely and in the future I do want to try the $28 monofin, namely 2' x 3' out of Lexan, once I get the technique improved upon.

A question to confirm what I already expect. The bigger/longer the fin the more power it will take to move the fin and the more power the fin will deliver, correct.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Great story!

Can you post some photos of your footpocket and the final assembly?

Thanks,

Pete

Here are three shot, one front, one back, and one of the footpockets.

Just spent another twenty minutes or so out in the water with the monofin tonight. There is one small thing that I have noticed but I'm sure exactly if it's just me or if something is going on. I'll have to do some more playing when I get the chance.

Due to another problem that I need to take care of big time, I didn't get much of a chance to really work with the fins, at least not like I was hoping to. After the video I watched this morning, I think I'm definitely showing my beginnerness. And it's stinkin' irritating. Back to the forums, see what I might find out before I hit the water the next time.

1. To try to keep the wood from the footpockets from directly touching the blade I put some foam pad between the two. I just used some of the foam from the footblocks on my whitewater kayak.
2. I put the duct between the washer and the blade to try to keep the nut/washer from doing damage to the Lexan.
3. I put the duct tape on the outside edges of the 1/4" mesh to keep booties from possibly being able to get hooked in the mesh and rip the booties.
4. I did countersink the bolts so that the feet wouldn't be constantly rubbing against the bolt heads, and possibly rubbing a hole in the booties.
5. I used wide velcro stapled onto the piece of wood. I use a second piece that I run across the top of the foot to help ensure that the strap won't come off. So far it hasn't come off.
6. The problem I have noticed may be very easily taken care of, by tighten the bolts down more. I keep questioning if I'm noticing some slipping in the blade/footpocket area. I'm not sure if that is what I'm noticing or not. It predominately seems to be at the surface when I'm more or less 'standing' in the water trying to stay afloat. I've not noticed it while swimming/finning.

Ryan

Attachments

• footpockets.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 290
  • backview.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 262
  • frontview.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Reactions: DeepThought
Ryan,

Not sure if this has been posted before but McMaster Carr carries fiberglass sheets in different thicknesses that are pretty cheap. They have G10 Garolite which is epoxy and glass and is stronger and more impact resistant, a 3/32" sheet 24" x 36" is $36.83 plus shipping and is item # 8667k12 found on catalog page 3402. Also they have Electrical grade fiberglass sheets spec GP03 that is 3/32" and 24" x 36" and catalog page 3394 item number 8549k73only $18.48 though will not be as impact resistant. They also have 1/32", 1/16", 3/32", 1/8", 3/16", 1/4". Not sure what your budget is, you could get some smaller sheets, 12" x 12" that are much cheaper of different sizes and play around with them. Might work to glue thick and thin together to make a tapered blade. Sorry that I have not done any of this though am sure it will work for cheap monofin as I am composite engineer. Your foot pockets look excellent!!

Cheers Wes

The tapered blade idea is not a bad idea. I used the Lexan last fall with great success. I am hoping to be able to make a bigger fin this summer and maybe even try making a standard pair of fins using Lexan. I think the thing that helps with the strength the most is also the placement of the footpocket. I think you have to have the footpocket closer to the blade. With the footpocket on an extension of the blade it creates extra stress that allows the blade to break easier when using weaker material.

Someday I may get back in the water, still waiting for the warmer water days here in New England.

Ryan

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…