• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jun 15, 2015
Hi guys! I haven't visited the forum for a long time now but I think it's time to because of my new project...
Anyway! I wanted to ask you about it because you're a very helpful community and since no one else in the whole island fishes with polespear (I live in Corfu, Greece ... Maybe we are 3 people in the whole country that fish with polespear)

So the first time I heard about polespear it was when i made my first post. I saw a guy from Cyclades (Greece) fish with his homemade polespear and it inspired me to build my own too... I've been fishing successfully with a 4 or 5 foot aluminium polespear that i bought for 15 euros and i want to make a biger now for more power and reach.

I'm thinking about buying a 2 meter aluminium pipe and cut it in sections of 1.30m and 50cm (the other 20cm won't be used I want to make a 6' polespear) and put a male or a female 6mm screwing thing (don't know what is called) in each pipe sho i can transport it easily and put and a 6mm thread (I just remebered how it's called!) on top for mounting the tips (usualy slip tip and 5 prong paralyser)...

Im also thinking buying a carbon fiber pipe from ebay 12mmx10mmx1000mm and cut it down to 50cm as a top section so it can bend when i hit big fish and not stay like that like aluminium (also carbon fiber just looks plain cool) i found that for about 10 euros. But should i get a tube or a rod and what do you suggest?

Oh, and can i put double bands on the pole spear? Il be using 3/8 surgical tubing for bands...

Thanks in advance and happy spearfishing!

The Greek's guy pole spearfishing video:

Reactions: keltvic
When i say tube or rod about the carbon fiber i mean should it be hollow (and what thickness) or solid?

And i think holow aluminum for the rear section will be okay but what thickness? The 4 or 5 foot spear that i have now is hollow and is not bent. But has really thin bands (3/16 maybe? o_O) will it bend wit stronger 3/8 bands or double 3/8 bands

And i made a mistake! the carbon fiber section will be 70cm so it can be converted from an aluminium 6' (1.80m) pole spear to a aluminium-carbon fiber hybrid (like gatku) 2m pole spear for even deeper water - longer distances. Do i need solid aluminium aswell or tube and what dimensions (diameter and thickness)

Thanks to everyone who replies and sorry for all these additions i just forgot to write them in the first part!

I recommend a solid, fiberglass rod..or solid carbon-fiber wrapped rod. Make sure you have a solidly attached ferrule at the end to attach the two halves together. If you go aluminum, go small diameter and solid, much less chance of buckling under a large fish. Why double bands? This is a pole spear...so there is very little extra translation of thrust because of an extra band due to how the bands are used...so, unlike on a gun, the bands are not fixed point, propelling a spear down the shaft, but are fixed to the shaft...causing more drag. Just get a thicker band, fix it further down the shaft.

Thanks! I just saw a polespear with double bands an i was wondering... I think it was a Gat Ku promo video....
Do u think a 3/8 band will be enough for the spear or a 1/2? (1.80m with aluminium and 2m with alu+carbon fiber)

And what do you think about my carbon fiber considerations? Will they do the job? Or where else do you suggest me to get carbon fiber?
(it has to be able to ship to Greece or Sweden atleast)
Thanks again and happy and successfull spearfishing!

The carbon-fiber looks good...if you can adapt a ferrule to attach the two pieces together...make sure you use a water-proof epoxy compound. I like the 3/8 inch band, just make it a little longer and grip the spear further down the shaft...
marnie_balubar_7-27-2010.jpg

This is like the one I use...not me in the picture, but this is what I grew up using, essentially.

Thanks! I'm basicaly going to copy the gat ku 8'er... But maybe a bit lighter...
Do you think the 3/8 will be fast enough? Or should i use hollow aluminium? Now that i checked the alumnium part is about 1.20m(47inches) and the carbon part is 90cm (36in) but i dont know if it's just the carbon part or the carbon part + the shaft (it has an aluminium end a bit wider diameter than the carbon part that has threads and the metal shaft with the point is threaded on it:
{ 47in }{ 36in }{extra length or withing the 36in?}

eighter-detached.jpg

The last part is actually ~10cm... I will do it with a threaded speargun shaft cutted and drilled+epoxied in the aluminium part so i will only change tips...

Well, you have to ask yourself what you are going to shoot with the spear...as to the speed being "enough". That is dependent on the strength and length of your draw as much as the thickness of the power band...for heavy duty pole spears, I have always used 3/16" wall x 1/8" ID = 7/16" O.D., which is essentially 3/8th...but bands are cheap, so you make it so you can easily change them out and carry two thicknesses with you.

I'll have to order 3/8 bands from overseas because surgical tubing doesn't exist in Greece... :banghead:
Do you think that 14mm speargun bands will work? (Are they too thick to be pulled or something?)

That's about 1/2 inch...should do just fine...like I said, bands are cheap in comparison...find a spearo shop in Europe and order two set of two sizes that you can interchanges.

Thank you very much! You helped a lot! Do you think that i can use an aluminium pipe with 14mm bands without bending? (hollow because i might not be able to find aluminium rods)

Well...I don't like hollow unless it's fiberglass/carbon fiber laminate...but my first pole spear was an old curtain rod, so sure...give it a try!

Ok thanks... And i found a greek e-shop that sells Riffe Gorilla 12.7mm bands 12euros per meter! Im going to use them! Now when i go down to the town im going to get and the aluminium and i have ordered and the carbon fiber rod... What length bands should i use with the polespear? I hunt up to 7-8 meters with the polespear (15 with the speargun) do you think i should make a 6'(1.80m) or an 8'(2m)?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT