• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Homemade sled for variable weight

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gianpaoloc

Nov 13, 2004
Hi,
me and a group of friends would like to practice variable weight (just as a training before trying the same depth in constant ballast) with something more "professional" than just some weight attached to a rope (which we used up to now). We feel ready to build our first "homemade sled" :)
Any suggestion for the design? I thought to build something quite simple, like a "double t" (two orizontal pipes attached to a vertical one, with the cable sliding into the vertical pipe), but I have no idea how to limit the friction along the cable (I thought to use a metal cable).
Any help and suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Ciao
G.

In my opinion, there can be only one type of sled for the "normal" diver like us: The "Fred Bulyle-version": easy to carry, but stably and with all necessary features like break etc.
A photo oft it you can watch at his homepage www.futurapnea.com => activities => equipment.
PS: With this sled he attempted the VB WR this year in Spetes, Greece.
MANUEL HOLLER

Thanks for the link. Very interesting.

Any idea about how to bring it back to the surface? We want something easy enough to be carried by two people and mounted on a small boat. This will probably mean we cannot use any kind of engine except for a "human one" :)

Bye
G.

You use a scuba-tank... the hose is attachted to a balloon and when you twist the knob, the air fills up the balloon and you go back up! :D I have used a system like this (pictured) and it is really small when you break it down... it is a lot of fun too! :D

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 175
NL is really great fun that's right! :)

But I don' t think that the size oft your boat is very important for your sled.
I' m a friend of the Freshwater WR holder Benjamin Franz and often visited him training for VW / NL WRs in Austria. He also had only a relativly small boat (~4 m) with a little motor and one evening he told me that even the great UMBERTO PELIZZARI uses for training only a boat like him.

Bye,

MANUEL

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT