• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How an old friend ended his career in the USMC

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
How low were you flying? Did you have any form of defense?

Over targets in South Vietnam where we didn't have to worry about AAA or missiles, we tended to fly at nice comfortable altitudes from 5000 to 10000 feet, depending on the focal length of the lens and what coverage we were supposed to get.

Over North Vietnam, we still might be fairly high, but as fast as we could go, but often we were down low, sometimes as low as 50 feet, but more often more like 200 to 500 feet. The ground goes by pretty fast as those altitudes, and a few degrees of pitch change can cause a big altitude change very rapidly when going fast.

The most challenging flying in some ways was what the squadron did every night right after dark and again right before dawn. We had to take an infrared map from the coast to the Laotian border, from 10 miles north of Da Nang to 5 miles south. It took three aircraft flying for over 2 hours each to cover it. We were supposed to get overlapping flight lines from 1000 feet above ground level, and the ground goes up and down a lot between the coast and the Laotian border.

So we would cross the coast using our radar in a mapping mode to get on our proper flight line, then switch to terrain following mode and fly up and down over the mountains in the dark to Laos while maintaining a true track of 270 degrees. At 1000 feet altitude, the infrared sensor covered a strip about one nautical mile wide. Lets say we started on line one. After we got to Laos, we would try to make a four mile turn and them come back out on line five by maintaining a true track over the ground of 090. (We had an inertial navigation system, so that gave us a readout of true track). When we got to the coast we would see how we actually did, then go back in line two, back out line six, etc.

It was a weird combination of demanding and boring. Nothing exciting was going on and no one was likely to shoot at us since we had our running lights off, but it took a lot of concentration to keep flying up and down over those mountains in the black. When you crossed a ridge, it gave you a big dive signal, and it was hard at first to go 30 degrees nose down and trust the radar to tell you when to start pulling the nose up.

If you are wondering why the hell we did that, the purpose was to pick up camp fires, truck exhausts, and other heat signatures. I'm surprised that we only lost one aircraft that flew into a mountain on that mission. I was glad that I had a lot of practice out here in the California desert flying at mountains in broad daylight and 70 miles of visibility, looking at the ridge and the radar and telling it to tell me to climb before I chickened out visually.

We had no armament. People make too big a deal of that through. You can't very well shoot at targets on the ground or at other aircraft while taking photos, so armament would have just been wasted.

Someone tell me when to quit with the sea stories. Once you give an old pilot an excuse to tell stories, someone has to shoot him to make him stop.

BTW, my son was a Marine F-18 pilot for 11 years and flew off the USS Eisenhower over Iraq and Bosnia. He has more up-to-date and better stories than I do.

Last edited:
I was reading DB and got an IM that brought to mind an Air Force story. The two things made me recall this thread, so I'll share it here. And others come to mind.

A squadron was doing training exercises and the pilots were wearing their survival vests. This "butter bar" was wearing his for the first time. He took the PRC-90 out and was "testing" it. Life Support got a call that the pilots survival radio was not working. No one could figure out why he would have it out to test. So two L.S. people go out to the plane and the girl asked what the issue was. Straight faced and dead serious the Lieutenant say, I took the radio out to make sure it works. It's in O.F.F. mode and I'm getting nothing. She could not believe it. She thought he was playing a joke. He was serious.

Another one. About a month after being at Tyndall, straight out of Tech School, there is a knock at the back door. It's a guy that I was in tech school with, he was at another squadron on the base. He asked if we had any "flight line". I looked at him and said WHAT!? A Tech sergeant kinda freaked out and pushed by me and said "let me look, but I think we are out....yeah, it's on backorder". He sent him to the First Squadron, they sent him to the 83rd, they sent him to the fab shop, they sent him to the drone building. Finally he went back and told his boss that no one had any. The boss opened the door and pointed to the flight line (aircraft parking area) and said "there is a ton of it right there!" My co-workers then tried to get me with "PropWash" and "High Speed Missile Wax".

One more. As life support we had a lot of critters and snakes in the area and actually kept dead dangerous creatures at Wing L.S. for training to show the pilots. A fellow L.S. guy got a promotion and moved to Wing L.S. He wanted to impress his new boss and cleaned up the office. His boss never cleaned his coffee cup, something about the residue adding flavor?? Well, the next morning the Master Sergeant comes in to find his mug spotless and was not happy. The "new" guy hates snakes, even the dead training snakes. So the Master Sergeant takes a coral snake and puts it into the the Techs mug as payback. The tech picks up his mug and carries it to the kitchen, picks up the coffee pot and almost pours the coffee on the dead snake. He freaked! Jumped back, dropped a full pot of coffee on the tile floor.

My fellow L.S. guys love their jokes. During SAR exercises, putting a guy that passes out on a 1-man raft and pushing him out into the bay, or handcuffing him to a tree...

BTW, hesitated to post this thread because the description of the Beach Bar forum says "Pull up a stool and starting chatting about the Underwater World." This is certainly not about the underwater world, but when I looked through other threads, it didn't seem that all of them were either. I just thought it was a very dramatic video and survival story that might be of interest, and of course I have a personal interest because he was a friend.

But if management feels that its not appropriate, I'l be glad to delete it, or won't mind if management deletes it for me.

I don't know if you've already heard, but Col. Cadick has passed on:

http://www.sondrakistan.com/2015/08/05/jerry-r-cadick-colonel-usmc-ret-—-rip-2/

Jerry's last ex-wife stopped by yesterday to get information to include in an obituary that she will place in newspapers. She married him relatively late in his career and since he and I had been in several units together from the start of our aviation careers, she was looking for details from before they met. We also put her in touch with his previous wife who just happened to be a Facebook friend, and that wife had not heard that he died. She told us the circumstances of his death. Its so sad.

The memorial service will be at a national cemetery in San Diego on September 30.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT