• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do i avoid Remoras?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ktrell

Mar 18, 2013
Hi. This might be stupid, but the title said it all.

For the past month ive been going to the ocean very often to spearfishing (im workless). But after 30 minutes or so, making dives between 30 and 50 ft a remora usually stick on my leg (i dive in shorts). If is small i dont care that much but like the last couple days they are trying to stick in my face and cant stand that. And bigger ones are appearing.

How, PLEASE, how can i avoid remoras? Is getting so anoying i can barelly stand it.

Note: A friend told me it could be my clothes, the shorts and the speedo uv shirt. But idk. A smell maybe? Someone?

Reactions: Kars
LOL, put them on the menu chart! - I seriously don't know but I welcome the idea because it sounds like a cool, original horror movie

LOL, put them on the menu chart! - I seriously don't know but I welcome the idea because it sounds like a cool, original horror movie

Weeeell is a horror movie to me!!! lol But its true. No idea if it is my clothes, or i just smell like a shark or a ray. :t

I just guess someone in some point has this little thing going on and could help me. But 75 ppl watch the post and just you answer something... funny... rofl

Any ideas? an oil, a product, idk... SOMETHING!

Perhaps something along the lines of one of the shark repellent vests that produce an electrical current, or magnets, though according to this article these methods don't work on bony (normal) fish

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_shark_repellent"]Magnetic shark repellent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

or you could try to look like a lion fish

Shark Repellent Rash Guard For Beach and Water Sports.

To be honest, I suspect these will all be a waste of time

Man that lion fish shirt almost kill me laughing. But yea it will be a waste of time . Thx for the serious answer.

Im prolly thinking in a 1 mm wetsuit, but i hate those things with all my soul. I live in a very hot city and they are so hot sometimes even in the water, specially bc i never go deeper than 50 ft.

Well thx for the answers.

Last edited:

What about diving without the pants? - mr. Remora will think the ship has already been taken

Sorry man, it was just to easy joke to pass, hope you'll find a remedy soon.
Perhaps a lycra swimsuit, like Yinfa, it does not give any warmth, nor buoyancy, but I think it may do the job.

Last edited:
Lol, you guys killing me.

Yingfa suit seems like a good solution at least for the body.

A small knife in the remora ribs may also help

Seriously, don't you see those things coming? Them officious nagy bitches!

A small knife in the remora ribs may also help

Seriously, don't you see those things coming? Them officious nagy bitches!

Normally i dont see them coming, but they would just stay there while im stabbin them?

One time i spear a big one that was making me crazy...

Petroleum Jelly or Crisco? IDK maybe it would make it a bit more difficult to stick to you.

And if you stab them do it from the side! Not straight down...and into your leg. :duh

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…