• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do I Load My New Gun?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Miami Blues

Nov 26, 2007
I am very excited I just got my new Rabitech stealth 120 from Erik at Sumora. Beautifull gun! My first spearfishing gun. However I have not been able to load the gun yet. I don't know if
1- I am not using the right technick,
2- either my arms are too short or my gun is too long.
3- the bands single (20mm) is to thick or too short.
4-does it get easyer in the water (I don't think so)

It's embaracing but I would appreciate your help!

Miami Blues

I need help with my new gun!

I am very excited I just got my new Rabitech stealth 120 from Erik at Sumora. Beautifull gun! My first spearfishing gun. However I have not been able to load the gun yet. I don't know if
1- I am not using the right technick,
2- either my arms are too short or my gun is too long.
3- the bands single (20mm) is to thick or too short.
4-does it get easyer in the water (I don't think so)

It's embaracing but I would appreciate your help!

Miami Blues

Should'a got a 90 lol! 120+ are hard to load, easier in the water, but I don't use a long gun so I'm no master. The 1 day I did, the shaft had another notch halfway down for an interim load point. You can put one in your shafts quite easily.

Last edited:
Go to the Rob Allen website - they have a tutorial on how to load long pipe guns.

according to the Rob Allen directions I am supossed to wedge the gun in my chest. if I do that I won't reach the bands. Any other suggestions.

Re: I need help with my new gun!

Hi there!

It is much easier in the water, but for long guns there is a nice tecnique:

loading_spearguns.jpg

Cheers, jmota

Try placing the but of the gun on your upper thigh right in the space under your stomach so that it cannot slip, with your knee bend a little, and the gun aiming upwards at 45-60 degree angle from horizontal. The bands should be just above your head, depending on how tall you are. Grab them and pull them down. As you pull them closer to the notch on the spear you should level the gun out so that by the time you clip the bands it is nearly horizontal. I'm not sure if this explanation helps but that's how I load my gun because it's too long for me if I place it on my chest. Good Luck

EDIT: It appears K2Yak has a good picture of this in a response to another post of yours. However the picture shows the gun being brought up to the chest/shoulder area in the second position. I load it with the gun in that same 1st position the entire time. As the picture proves it is much easier to do this in the water.

Last edited:

Yeah, you see that line at the bottom of the attachment which reads; NEVER LOAD A SPEARGUN OUT OF THE WATER?
:)
Kidding, but it really is a bit easier to load/unload in the water and you might not be tempted to attempt topside harpoon stunts that way.:crutchrofl

If I place the gun in my chest.as per the diagram I wont be able to reach the bands.

I will not try harpooning unless I Spot MobyDick (some how the spelling on the wales name looks funny!)

When all is said and don more will be said less will be done!

You have to wedge the gun butt to your chest while holding one of the bands. When the butt is in place on your chest, the band you are holding should be stretched enough for your other hand to reach.

1. Assuming you are right-handed, start by grabbing the nearest band with your right hand on the right side of the wishbone.
  2. With your left hand, hold the pistol-grip (outside the trigger guard!) and push the gun directly away from your chest just enough to allow the butt to settle on your chest. Because the band is in tension, the butt should stay in place.
  3. Your right arm should now be fully extended and the left arm free. You should now be able to reach the tensed band with your left hand, and use both arms to pull the band back.
I'd practice just getting the butt settled to your chest as it is the key to the whole technique, and it is something you can do safely out of water. You really have to grip the first band tightly so it won't slip as you push the gun away. I typically grab the band about 1-2" from the wishbone because it usually slips a bit.

Hope this helps.

GCJ I tried to follow your directions. but the gun is too long and the bands are too thick the best I can get the but to move is my lower stomach.( I almost yanke my left arm out socket)

I can almost do it (5 to 6" away from notch) when I rest the gun but in my thigh and pull like hell!!

Your initial post said that your gun uses a 20mm band - a little stiff but not unreasonable. With one of your arms extended and the butt in place on your chest, the band should only be about one-third tension - which is why I'm a little confused as to why your arm feels like its being ripped out.

I found a couple of videos on Youtube that show the technique. Just do a search of "loading speargun". There's a good one called "Gunho how to load a speargun" that has a pretty good narrative.

Good luck my friend, I struggled with loading when I got my first gun.

gary

roflGary thanks for the info. Ill check out the videos.:crutchbefore I loose an arm!

When All is Said and Done, More Will Be Said Less Will Be Done!
:friday

Sorry , i am about 6'3" so i can't really see what the problem is.

Use a pad and place the gun butt lower on your torso. Or skip the pad and show off your plum tattoo-look-a-likes.

I guess being 6' 3" helps. your arms are just a bit longer.:t

I am 5' 5" So I could be a better horse jockey!:thankyou

Thanks

When All is Said and Done, More Will Be Said Less Will Be Done!

If you can not load the gun I would suggest you study the Roba Allen video for technique, I think the Idea is to hold the bridle with one hand and then to push the gun butt up and onto your abdomen or chest to finish the loading this way you will have some stretch on the rubbers when the gun is positioned on your chest but then be ibn the most efficient position to pull the rubbers the rest of the way back. The Sth African and Euro style guns are very different to load than the typical American or older Ausie style guns that areloaded from the hip and are designed witha longer extension behind the handle to allow this. The main thing you should do however is make or buy a reasonably long 16mm or 5/8 rubber to use initially untill you learn the correct technique. A single 16mm rubber sill has plenty of power for many fish and can be shortened to give more power as you learn to load the gun and it gets easier.
Best regards
Peter

Grab the handle with your left hand (right if your left handed) and the rubbers on the dyneema with your right. Holding the band with your right move the butt to your chest, stretching the bands as you move the gun. Once the butts on your chest move your left hand onto the left rubber and your right onto the right and now pull it up to the notch. Its hard at first but you get the hand of it eventually.
Yes its easier in the water....

You don't have to be tall or have arms like a chimpanzee.

Grab one side of the bands or the wishbone with your hand.
At the same time grab the back of the gun with the other.
Push the whole gun forwards and put the butt on your chest.
The bands will have stretched so you can now reach them with your other hand.
Reach forward and grab the bands with the hand that held the gun
Re adjust your grip and pull the bands onto the the shaft as normal

I have seen the Diagrams and the videos and I know what your saying but there is no way in hell that I can hold on to the bands and some how place the but of the gun in my chest. The distance is too great.

I will try to switch to 16 mm bands. It should be easyer. until I perfect my technike at least.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT