• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do I Load My New Gun?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Go for it, it is only technique. Half a dozen times with 16mm bands and you'll be up for the 20's no worries

If you're having strength problems look at the diagram that was posted. when the but of your gun is on your chest you're in a strong position to pull the bands. However, if you're too short to do it like that (as I am) you have to position the gun at your upper thigh/hip area. When doing this you want to bend your chest down so that it's nearly horizontal to the gun. (like the position that is shown in image 1 in that diagram K2yak posted). When you do that you'll be stronger than if you put it at your hip and keep your chest straight up. Sorry these explanations are confusing but as with most things it's easier to show someone than tell someone. If you're still having trouble just ask someone at a dive shop to show you. I know some small guys who are not that strong who load some big guns. It's all in the technique, so you're definitely strong enough to do it. Once you find a technique that works for you, you'll have no trouble.

Well the moral of that story is never use a loaded speargun to pick your nose

Reactions: Erik
Where in Miami are you.

hey bro any luck with the gun loading yet? I think you bought a long cannon bro. I am pretty sure u have heard everything there is to know about loading a gun by now. Switching to 16mm bands in my opinion will not change much. However why don't you try to replace your bands with longer ones i know you're gonna loose power but at least you can you use it right? {As for loading my RA I grab 1 side of the band and pull on it then i slide it from my under my torso to my chest by this time the gun is centered in my chest and i grab the other side of the band and inhale while i pull back. Then I load the other band! :martialwicked! } If you are 5'5 you are not going to load that big ass gun im telling you man why would you even get such a long gun?

Last edited:
Re: Where in Miami are you.

I guess being 6' 3" helps. your arms are just a bit longer.:t

I am 5' 5" So I could be a better horse jockey!:thankyou
Or fighter pilot, motorcycle racer,...
... If you are 5'5 you are not going to load that big ass gun im telling you man why would you even get such a long gun?
It should be possible, there are folk using 150cm railguns out there - which would present similar problems for a 6 footer. The diagrams above are featured in Len Jones's Guide To Spearfishing - which is an excellent booklet. I have the second edition with features an addendum showing an "Alternate Loading Technique". I don't have my scanner hooked up currently so I'll try to describe it:

Diag 1. Looked at from above, the spearo's arms are extended to their respective sides (not front). Spearo grabs wishbone with right hand, arm extended. Left hand is cupping the butt of the railgun with the arm bent.
Instructions:
"Take hold of rubber with hand and place ball of thumb behind gun butt (keeping your thumb against the index finger not around handle).

Diag 2. Paraphrasing: "Keeping right arm straight, push butt with left hand until it is next to your loading pad [in the centre of your chest]"

Diag. 3. Shows the right arm swung to the front of the spearo, still extended:
"Swing right arm and twist the body until the gun butt slides off the heel of your hand and lies squarely on the loading pad..."

Diag. 4. Shows the left hand grabbing the wrist of the the right arm to provide additional support.

Diag 4 & 5 Share the same text:
"Pull back with the right arm until the left arm can grasp the rubber then load up in the normal fashion"

Diag. 5. Shows both arms extended to the front, hands on the rubbers, one on either side. Normal loading position with butt against chest.

20mm rubber is definitely harder to load than 16mm, a good loading pad backed up with a thick flip flop sole behind will help avoid painful injury while practicing. Normally I would suggest using a single or double 16mm band however, 16mm bands are normally cut shorter than a 20mm band so what you gain by reducing the loading force you loose on reach :(. You could try fitting a longer band, which would reduce the reach needed and reduce the loading force required.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pastor
well i take some of that back the fact that you can load it ( very uncomfortable ) is present. I went to the store yesterday and loaded an Omer T20 120. I'm of similar hight 5'6 and i didn't even get the gun to my chest mostly my stomach, this is not the way i load my Railgun though. Now I understand that loading it under water is easier but I can not rule out that it was very uncomfortable due to the guns length. I believe it was a single 16mm band. Yeah I would not even think of getting a gun that big for a person my hight. I think max should be around RA 110.

"20mm rubber is definitely harder to load than 16mm" MR.X. <-- I agree but it's not a big deal I have 2, 20mm rubbers on my RA & i load them just fine with a chest pad i made.

I'm not sure about the rules about necro posts here .... but I'll leave the info here in case someone happens upon this thread
120 is too big for a first gun, you should have started out with a 75 to 90 cm gun ....but now that you already have it .....
I suggest getting slightly longer bands and also weight training particularly rowing and strengthening the latissimus dorsi

Rob Allen sells a loading helper to help loading long spearguns. It looks like a loop of bulk rubber with a metal hook on it. I think Rob demos its use on one of his YouTube videos.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT