• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do you Equalize Underwater Ear Pressure?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jknrby

Apr 29, 2010
Whenever I try to dive past a certain point I get this ringing noise and pain in my ears. I've heard that you have to descend a bit in the water and then stop, pinch your nose and hold your breath, then blow. Is that right? Because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I just wanted to know if I'm doing the proper thing. Any answers?

Mate, are you free diving or on scuba?
Head up or down?
In any case it sounds as if you are not equalising soon enough, there should be no pain or ringing at all.
You have it basically right, pinch your nose then gently force a little air to the ears, do it now and you will feel them pop a little.
No need to hold your breath, and blowing is not quite how it's done, really just move some air to the front of your face, much easier to do than describe.
Practice on dry land until it becomes second nature, then next time you dive equalise before leaving the surface and frequently on the decent, way before any pain occurs.
Experience will tell you how often to do it.
Don't do that descend a bit lower in the water thing, it sounds like a good way to blow your eardrums if they already hurt.
Someone with a lot more experience will be along to explain it all much better than I can, but I hope this helps a bit.

Dave.

If your ears start to hurt go back up a little until the pain is gone. Then, equalize the whole way back down.

And yeah, do it the whole way down, before the pain/discomfort even starts.

Do you have sinus congestion?

Thanks Dave, I'm freediving and my head is down most of the time. I'll try that next time I go in the water :)

And I don't have any sinus congestion, I got over a cold a month ago though.

Mate , I was hoping one of db's free divers would chime-in with some words of wisdom.
But in case they are all busy, I have some concerns to put to you-
You're not doing this on your own are you?
You have a buddy watching your back, right?
Please remember it's your life on the line here.
Free divers always suggest doing a course for newbies, learning to dive safely and hopefully find some buddies to train with, sounds like top advice to me.

Some more thoughts on the equalising thing, try descending feet first with the head uppermost, you may find this easier.
Lil's advice is spot on, any problems and ascend a little bit, try again and don't force anything.
One more thing, in the head down position make sure not to tilt the head back too far, sometimes trying to see the bottom will make you do this,
the trouble is this will constrict the Eustachian tubes and make equalising harder, try to keep your chin towards your chest.
Well that's my equalising knowledge exhausted, more experienced people will hopefully add more.

Please, please be careful and stay safe.

Dave.

Don't worry Dave, I always go diving with a buddy. And I'm not really new to freediving, I've just never had access to really deep water and now that I've got a boat I can get out in the ocean. But I'm big on safety, drowning is not on my to-do list haha.
Thanks for all the advice Dave, the specifics really helped when I tried out your advice today :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT