• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do you guys inflate those tube markers?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Gab

Aug 4, 2011
Hi guys,

I have seen in several videos once the shot is fired and the fish caught, the spero pulls out a folder marker float and inflates it somehow. I checked out the descriptions of those marker tubes and they don't mention co2 cartridges, so how do they do it? These are apnea spearos.

Thanks,
Gab

I'm interested in learning more about this too.

Are these tubes/floats to mark the location of the spot with more fish about, or a safety thing?

If fishing very wide, I carry a long bright orange tube rolled up tightly & stored on my belt. It has a volume of about 2 cigarete packs. Inside it there is a flouresent light stick, a whistle & a small mirror. The light stick can be cracked & put inside the float to illuminate it if it gets dark. I just inflate it by blowing. Is this the same thing?

Cheers Sharkey

Reactions: Mr. X
Hmm, maybe, but they use it to mark the spot where the fish is, especially when in kelp. It looks very useful in certain situations, like in kelp or of the fish is holed up and you don't have a reel and your are out of breath, etc.

The thing is they inflate it in the water, maybe they blow into it? This could be dangerous is you are deep as you coild blalk out going up if you blew out essential air.

This is how I carry the small tube on my belt. The material to make it is from an old tractor inner tube ( useful stuff). The tube is inflated by mouth. The light stick is wrapped inside. This will increase the chance of being found, if faced with such an anxious situation.

Sharkey

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 017.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 171
Looks good, my only thoughts are if you fill it at 20m to get the 25lbs displacement what stops it exploding when it reaches the surface.
Is there a relief valve?

Cheers Sharkey

Not sure, I emailed asking if you can partially inflate it.

It works like those lift bags divers use to bring stuff up.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…