• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do you hold your breath right?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

skarz

Rasta Freediver
Mar 4, 2004
Hi, i'm super newb to freediving and just started statics. I know for a fact i'm not doing it right though. For one, my first hold can gets like 45 seconds, then my second one gets like 15. I'm pretty sure it's the way i'm breathing. I just suck in air like freakin balloon and hold it! I've heard all the terms of "hookbreath", "packing", etc. but i dont understand them yet. Can someone please specify the steps of the breathing process, and how to inhale the air before you hold. Thanks

Hi skarz,

Sounds like you are not breathing up long enough after the first hold. 45 seconds on the first hold is reasonable for you. After the first hold, breath up 2 minutes or a little more, slow and deep. Then breath fast and deep, 4 breaths and hold. you should be able to do 1:15. Do it again and it will increase again. Try a total of 5 reps. Do this every night and you will be over 3 minutes very soon.

Learn to belly breath, get in front of a mirror, throw out your stomach and inhale without moving your ribs. Then inhale with your ribs and finally stretch your neck to get the last little bit. All your breathing should start from the belly

Very important is relaxation. Lay down, close your eyes, consiously relax every muscle, think relaxing thoughts.

There are lots of ways to breath up, experiment to see what works for you.

Good luck

Connor

Thanks. I wasn't sure if you were supposed to take quick breaths before the hold. WHen you're inhaling the air for the final hold, do you want that to be a short one too?

The final one should be a full breath.

One of the things that I was taught was to do a quick but full diaphragm (belly) breath. It should take about 2 seconds hold for 2 seconds and then do a slow relaxing exhale around 10 - 15 seconds.

Also when doing the fast and deep breaths, be careful and work progressively. It is possible to pass out. Always do the statics in a safe environment like a bed or such so that you're protected from injuries should you blackout.

Packing is the process of getting in more air into an already full set of lungs I wouldn't worry about that process for now when you're ready to try it I'm sure you can find more info on deeperblue.

Good Luck !

Smellsfishy / Meir

Thanks. My times have already gone up a tad from when i started last week.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT