• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do you know what fish to spear?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Colby193

Dec 16, 2012
Hello all :)

I was wondering how people know what fish to spear? Apart from being told by friends etc.

In the UK I am fairly familiar with what to spear but I am planning a trip to Madeira, Portugal. Apart from using common sense, I wouldn't know what to look for. Is there a book or anything that can tell me?

Also, I read that there aren't any sharks around the shore but other places I read say different. I ask this because I watched a video of a guy speafishing in Madeira and he just attaches his catches to himself with a line. I'm in the UK so I tend to use a fish stringer attached to my float or attach a catch bag to myself. If there is no chance of attracting sharks then I'll do my usual otherwise I'd rather swim to shore every time.

Thanks for reading!

Colby

look for a fish species chart for the area your going to then cross reference it with local super/fish markets and recipes. then you'll know for sure whats edible and buy cost whats highly prized :)

Hi!

I’ve work there for one year and a half. You are a lucky guy!!!
The tip to pass by the market it´s a good one! Although you gone find there a lot of deep water’s fish.
In Madeira all the fish that you see are eatable and have a good taste!
If you gone stay in the shore you will find small (but very tasty) catches. Like sargo (Diplodus sargus), bodião (Labroidei), salema (Sarpa salpa) and octopus. These are the most common on the shore. But you can also find: enxaréu ( Pseudocaranx dentex), mero (Epinephelus) that it’s forbidden the catch, garoupa ( Epinephelus), anchova (Pomatomus saltator)… and several others.
If you go to open waters you gone find every normal fish that you would find in the Atlantic.
I hope you enjoy Madeira!!!

Thank you for that, that is brilliant, especially the Latin. :) I bought a little handbook too. Yeah I'm not that experienced so I don't go that far out. I heard that Sarpa Salpa cause hallucinations though, also trying to avoid any poison or ciguartera stuff :L I have no experience with anything like this so I don't know how common this sort of thing is.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT