• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

how does this plan sound?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

heebes

Dec 3, 2002
ok spearos. i think i have narrowed my speargun selection down. i think i am going to get either a Riffe Standard #2 or an Omer Aluminum 130cm gun. i figure that this will be a good choice for spearing spadefish, tautog, flounder, and amberjack. i am not sure what is a better choice. on the one hand the Omer tracks faster and is lighter, but the Riffe is stronger and seems to be more versatile with the addition of a 4th band, bigger shaft, ect. and personally i think the Riffe just looks cooler. this would be the first gun, then i would end up getting a bigger gun for bluewater. perhaps a Riffe #Island? do you all think that this is a decent plan for a first gun?

My Son, if power and accuracy and long life and versatality is thou search, then I shall grant you the permisson to get a Riffe #2. Have the muzzle reinforcement please, because unlikely thou have the precision machine to drill that precise...........Amien.

Riffe's look slick, but so does a cooler of fish! I'd grab a Euro with a good reel. Will let you beat on your equipment a bit while you're learning without trashing a Riffe ($$$). JBL guns are how a lot of us cut our teeth in this sport. Cheap, effective, and parts ae easily swapped out if they break. another route - You can get a Nice RA set-up for about $200us. (considering 130cm RA with 2x 16mm bands for my next toy/reel gun) I still have to get one in the water - so you'll have to ask some of the SA boys about them - no exp here (yet).

Willer

Did someone say RA ?? :king
Heebes , hearken what the man sayeth . For a reasonably priced all - round gun a euro will provide for all your needs , then you can branch out and look at a Riffe for some serious bluewater fun .

Branch out to a riffe...?!!

Oh no Abri. You didnt say that did you ? Its all my fault..:waterwork

skin.

How about this plan...

1. get a gun that you think will suit your current needs

2. go shoot some fish with it

3. have fun

4. later, if you feel the need, upgrade or consider a new gun

You see guns are very personal items...what Sven would call a girlie piece of crap, Abri will hunt marlin with:D so basically you will never get a concensus on what others prefer b/c even the same gun will be modified or set up differently by everyone.

If it sounds like I am coming down on you, I am not...I just dont want you to miss out on the best part of the sport worrying about your first gun, which is going out hunting. Notice I said hunting b/c it will take time to start killing consistantly no matter what gun you pick!

Rob Allen

Heebes,

They are rumors about the bands of the RA and trigger mech, handle also.People says it's too hard to load and as i see from band test their's bands are not ver good.Trigger mech, i can't remmember who was he but i heard it from several person that if you load it with one 20mm and one 16mm it will missfire,two 16mm may cause this also on longer guns.As i see from the net there is no butt pad of RA so it will cost pain to load.You must ask these things to experianced RA users to find the real answers.I am just warning you.;)

A Ra is hard to load because the rubbers are so tough. They are made of amber rubber with a black coating and many guys here in Australia prefer that type of rubber because it gives smoother shot.

As for the trigger mech: I dont know why you want to have a 20mm and a 16mm.. A single 20mm rubber will punch through just about anything. Car-roof, roof racks etc:eek:
I have never had a problem even though I own a 110 thats over 5 years old. No wear on the sear other than a little corrosion near the pin hole.

I agree the butt of the RA is a little tough on the chest but I'm working on that!:D
Stay tuned and you may see the latest accessory..;)

Loading pad

You guys do have a loading pad on your wetsuit jacket chests dont you ? And shadow killer is right RA's are not equipped with sissy rubbers.
They are harder to load because the rubbers are so staunch and that means plenty power out of a singe 20mm rubber. Ive never shot anything that the spear did not completely exit the other side and hang down trapping the fish on the shooting line.

It doesnt hurt if you do it properly. Most grips with loading extensions have not much more surface area than the butt of an RA anyhow and whats more they tend to keep the back of the handle off your solar plexus further reducing the area.

In SA 95% of spearo's saw any loading extension off and utilise the greater area gained by the butt and handle on their loading pads.

But remember we are extreme cats here :) pushing sharks around and chasing lions out of our gardens in the mornings.

Skin.

Last edited:
SKIN,

Ive never shot anything that the spear did not completely exit the other side and hang down trapping the fish on the shooting line.

Are youz zaying all ur fizhes are small fizhes................;)

I'm, sold.......here is my credit card number 1-800-007, slide it and give me that RA.:D :D

so you say if its too hard to load it delivers much power to spear?.Actually its not true.Mark Labocetta said that to skin diver magazine.The exess power of that hard to load bands produce much more recoil than other bands but no much more power delivery to spear.Power band test just proves that one more time.I forgot the link of that test but i posted it somewhere before.It is in custom internet speargun page.

Re: Loading pad

Originally posted by Skindiver
But remember we are extreme cats here :)QUOTE]

Yeah. OK. :hmm Hearing about you guy's refering to your butts as loading pads and butts on your chest is a bit much though...:t

Hebbes, if you can get parts by the mail and all, either gun style of will work; you can get a JBL and just trash it during the learning process, which will go on the rest of your life, or start out with a really good gun, like a Riffe #2 and learn to take care of it and hand it down to the kid in years time.
Incredibly smooth points.

sven

he doesn't open rifts in time with incredibly dense karma for no reasonrofl

that is some fine advise...kinda sounds like what I said...only smoother!:cool:

Originally posted by Murat
Mark Labocetta said that to skin diver magazine.....Power band test just proves that one more time.It is in custom internet speargun page.

If you beliece everything you read faithfully...let me send you a perspective on some stock sure to rise; check it out at;

www.getoutmore.com

so you say if its too hard to load it delivers much power to spear?.Actually its not true.Mark Labocetta said that to skin diver magazine.The exess power of that hard to load bands produce much more recoil than other bands but no much more power delivery to spear.Power band test just proves that one more time.

Murat,

The net recoil of a gun involves more variables than just the mass of the gun and the power of the bands. Other factors are spearo weight/strength, technique, and spearshaft dia./mass/material.

When you're comparing apples to comquats in the hands of experienced spearos, it's not as straightforward anymore. No one really hunts w/ off-the-shelf eqpmt. Most everyone modifies their guns to maximize its effectiveness for their technique and ability.

Cheers,
Anderson

Originally posted by rigdvr

If you beliece everything you read faithfully...let me send you a perspective on some stock sure to rise; check it out at;

www.getoutmore.com

Well, i just belive only the good speros.On the other hand there a few respected speros saying this.So this shouldn't be totally nonsense.So you see i am not the snotty child..... :t

Originally posted by andrsn

Murat,

The net recoil of a gun involves more variables than just the mass of the gun and the power of the bands. Other factors are spearo weight/strength, technique, and spearshaft dia./mass/material.

When you're comparing apples to comquats in the hands of experienced spearos, it's not as straightforward anymore. No one really hunts w/ off-the-shelf eqpmt. Most everyone modifies their guns to maximize its effectiveness for their technique and ability.

Cheers,
Anderson

Come on guys, i know it depends more variable.But i just tryied to mention that harder to load bands are not equal greater power delivery to shaft.;)

Come on guys, i know it depends more variable.But i just tryied to mention that harder to load bands are not equal greater power delivery to shaft.;)

Murat,

My mean green bands are quite a bit harder to load on my C3x riffe than my old riffe bands. Please don't tell me that I don't have greater power delivery to my spear than i do with other "easier to load bands". :naughty In fact the power of the bands were so great that I stepped down to 2 bands instead of 3 and still had greater power/punch than 3 of the equivalent riffe bands.

HSD's page is down(under renovation) so I can't find what Mark wrote. I think he's just trying to prove a point. Maybe he's saying that there are some harder to load bands that don't have a high enough modulus characteristic, therefore not able to deliver the "additional" energy you thought you had because of the strain you put in to load them. Hmm :confused:

Murat, your points are valid and I appreciate the way you pose thoughts w/o getting defensive in your argument. Stay "open-minded" and continue your quest at becoming a great hunter. :cool:

Anderson

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT