• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How far can I effectively shoot fish?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ricksafer

Ricksafer
Feb 2, 2010
Technology and improvements for spear guns, either compressed air ones or rubber bands has come a long way indeed.
Much have changed since that ancient day in which one of our humanoids genetic ancestors approached and waded into the shallow waters of the sea shore or lake with a rudimentary wooden spear and possibly became the first ""spear person".
The eternal controversy or "air" or "rubber" is dependent on the eyes of the beholder...but certainly shots in the order or 30 foot plus are now achievable and current!

I found this video online, some pretty decent far shots.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/persistentteam#p/a/u/0/bdqXrkNmRz4"]YouTube - persistentteam's Channel[/ame]

Would love to hear from the other distinguished members about their "LIFE TIME SHOT"! What species were they hunting and which gun were they using.

Already feel tempted to mention mine, but I rather wait.

Maximum range from muzzle tip to end of shaft once the retainer cord has stretched. In theory the target should be considered to be at least at the middle of the shaft for penetration to be insured.:rcard

Last edited:
I never freeshaft, but once I shot a small single Blue Fin Tuna (22lbs) at the
very back of a school of Bonita.Hit him 8''in front of his tail and toggled.
The shot was so long I pushed the gun forward with my left hand after I pulled the trigger. I can punch through fish at 25' with my game gun but I like to get closer, it's more fun. Maybe once or twice a year I try the real long shot on a fish tail. but I don't like risky shots where I may not land the fish.
Cheers, Don

Attachments

• Small Blue Fin Tuna from 25''.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
My best shot was with a Hawaiian sling into a Hog fish. I was chasing him while free diving in 30 feet in the Bahamas. He went under a ledge and I came down to where I thought he would swim out, but he backtracked and came out the same hole he went in. I caught him out of the corner of my eye and took a desperation shot and aimed a little high and lead him. Caught him just behind the gill plate. A 10' shot from the hip with a sling into the biggest Hog I've seen in a year or two is my most memorable shot.

Attachments

• n5123610_32831386_6845.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 146
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…