• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How many knives do you carry?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

How many knives do you take with you?

• No knife

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • 1 knife

Votes: 55 76.4%
  • 2 knives

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • only multitool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 knive + multitool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 knives + multitool

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

mishu1984

Halla Waaaaallllaaa
Aug 15, 2002
Ok, so how many knives do you carry, and do you carry a multitool, such as Leatherman Wave?

2 knives free, when on scuba, 2 + tool/emt shears. Every since my buddy got caught on a lift bag line and was in a position where he could not physically reach his chest knife... the leg knife save him. Since that time, 1 right shoulder, 1 left foot so that if hung up in line or cable, I can find a way out.

2 knives. they both need to be able to be drawn with BOTH hands. if you put a knife on your arm/shoulder it can only be draw with ONE hand. unacceptable, it's a wonderfull entanglement hazzard and could potentially cost you your life one day. 1 on the INSIDE of the calf, one on the FRONT of my belt. get caught in a gillnet once and it changes how you look at tool placement. leave the machettes at home, a nice SMALL sharp knife is less of an entaglement hazzard and far more usefull. In warm water I am fond of emt shears as a secondary, but as i dove cold water now I find them hard to articulate with large gloves.

I no longer cary a knife while spearfishing,

in the past i carried one, had it placed on my left arm and some times on my left fore arm. Tried it on my calf as well. it kept getting tangled around my shooting line.

The only reason i carried the knife was to use it as a fish killer. Now i use the sharp end of my fish stringer. much more effective than a knife with less hassel.

probably not the wisest thing... :hmm

I used to carry 2 One on left inside calf, (sporasub snake) which is too long for belt.
and a small picasso on the belt.
BTW both have to be sharp, I have seen many dive machetes which are so blunt as to be useless.
keep em sharp!

Hmmm . . ., O.K., now I just learned about putting the knife on the inside of my calf and now I find that I'm supposed to carry two? Sheesh! Someday I'll get into the water.

1, 2 or 10 knives. It's whatever you're comfortable with while underwater in apnea. A Tear-away sheath (velcro was invented at least a week ago) for any knife attached to the preferred part of your anatomy will cut down on the life threatening entanglements. Ask any commercial fisherman or tournament deckhand about the value of a SHARP snag knife. Lash a mini-knife to the butt end of your speargun. Omer makes a tiny 2 edge knife that's perfect for that with exactly zero extra prep time before your back gets wet. No matter how sweet it is to hit the water it's always sweeter to get back out...still able to hyperventilate. One last smart remark...If you are hunting fish that are small enough to drag around on a stringer, you need to go hold your breath while trout fishing. No knife is necessary.

Hiya

To all of those spearo's who are fed up with float lines or kelp tangling your knife/knives, have a look at the Rob Allan knife and sheath. I use a very similar sheath with a Omer Flat hunt knife in it. Any slim, flat knife will work. The bands are elasticated, so the knife doesn't move around, irrespective of the depth you're diving. Very comfortable and quite small (read STREAMLINED!!! - i've got to take all the help i can get!!! :) )

I dive with one knife and an ikijimi spike. Especially when hunting yellowtail kingfish. On reefs i only dive with the knife. Two knives is a good idea, but so is common sense!!!! Don't dive on wrecks, they generally have loads of fishing line attached to them. Same with reefs or pinnacles that are frequented by many fisherman. VERY dangerous if there's a big current too!!!!

Regards
miles

miles said:
Two knives is a good idea, but so is common sense!!!! Don't dive on wrecks, they generally have loads of fishing line attached to them. Same with reefs or pinnacles that are frequented by many fisherman. VERY dangerous if there's a big current too!!!!

Regards
miles

but thats where the best fish are, and all that free tackle! :)

I carry a single, sharp medium/large knife. The handle & sheath on my current knife are too bulky though. I am planning to get a flat knife or some kind of spearo stilletto dive knife (for Iki Jimi) -- more versatile than a dedicated Iki spike.

I don't like small knives in general -- they are just too :girlie . I want a knife that can behead & disembowel a large fish, quickly & cleanly -- and that will cut through line, nets, dyneema, kevlar, spectra,...anything, quickly. I have been rather taken with the Riffe knives since I read they claim to be able to cut through steel wires! :) That said, as a back up, the Omer Hunter looks like a good small dagger -- but I wonder if it might be too small even for killing a 5-10lb fish? I prefer to go through the gill covers, rather than the top of the head -- to avoid impaling myself; you can do this with a stringer or regular dive knife but a stilletto or Iki spike would be quicker & cleaner -- but it needs to be fairly long. The new Snake Dagger looks cool as do some of the old spearo stillettos.

Carrying 2 knives seems like overkill though -- if you take every possible safety gadget you will look like a tangled Christmas tree ...people will think you are American;). That said, something unobtrusive like a flat knife might work. Sometimes even carrying one knife seems like overkill. I haven't (yet) had problems swimming through kelp forests, even with my big knife & 20m float line -- just move slowly and smoothly and the weed gives way. I did get tangled in some fishing line, diving tidal reef gulleys near the low-tide shore line at high tide -- it did not impede progress though.

I keep a second knife in my dive bag as a guest knife/spare. I have some of those super-scissors that cut through pennies -- but don't have a good way to carry it while spearing (any suggestions?).

Last edited:
I carry one knife on my leg.
I used to dive knife free and killed the fish with my teeth. Its easy to kill anything under 15 lbs. That cane to a sudden end when a girl friend told me she is not going to kiss me if I kept killing things with my teeth. So I switched to knife.
Switching to knife made my dentist happier too.

I carry Two Knives.
One a Riffe for killing fish, the other a big heavy blade for burling up Buff Brim,
they have a thick hide and bones and i dont want to dull a good knife on them.
Carry both on my Left Calf

Crusty

ive got one of those big dopey knives on my belt, i find its the most accesable place for it, and on the note of blunt knives, mines serrated on one edge (almost like sharks teeth, the other side has a blade, and smaller serrated edge at the bottom) i think the serrated edge is important because you can cut through rope and mono fast. imho

freediver7 said:
I used to dive knife free and killed the fish with my teeth. Its easy to kill anything under 15 lbs. That cane to a sudden end when a girl friend told me she is not going to kiss me if I kept killing things with my teeth. So I switched to knife.

You must be kidding me.....? :duh , if not please let me know how the hell you would kill a 10lb or more bass with your teeth...want to give it a try

Last edited:
freediver7 said:
Good Technic http://www.suntsov.com/

Last edited:
I always carry just one big F___king knife in my teeth...Pirate style ! its rusty and its BIG, any predator that see's this usually leaves me alone !

Actually I carry 2, one larger sized one on my inside left calf and a smaller one either on my belt or right forearm.

When snorkelling, freediving and spearing I carry just the one Omer Hunter on my upper left arm. For scuba I still wear the Hunter and also I have a small Beaver attached to the right side of my BC.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT