• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How many raps

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

denian

Crazy Hobbit
May 8, 2010
How many raps would be best before things start getting messy ?I know it probably been covered loads of times !.I swap between guns and my brain subconsciously thinks my 45 can shoot the same distance as my 90 !LOL but in reality about the length of my 90 .I missed lots of bass the other weekend because the spear was stopping short .Is four raps with mono line too messy and time wasting when reloading ? Sure a few of you have put 3 or 4 raps on then reduced it.Where's a good shop for line and crimps at a good price.Ta.I have crisis Geronimo guns.

I use 2 wraps ie end of spear to muzzle, muzzle to line release then forward, back to line release and back to the anchor point. Hope this helps.

Ta for a reply bud, that's what I might end up with depends on how long the line kit is I've ordered .3 raps might be to much rapping and tangling for the odd accation I take a slightly longer shot!.The 45 has a kick with it's 20 mm bands and thick shaft sure I won't be lacking in distance and penetration.Look out Mr Bass just because I've a little gun!

I have a single wrap on my 70 and my spear stopped short of a bass the other day ! Just bought a 90 and I think I will double wrap it .One thing I have found is I like to use dyneema shooting line for a double wrap with open muzzle, as it grips better and without the memory of thick mono trying to twang off where im wrapping it in the grooves around the muzzle. With mono you have to keep constant heavy tension on until you have finished or it twangs off. at least that's what ive found with my gun and technique. If I get bored in winter I may set a target up underwater somewhere and do some fine tuning/experimentation with different bands etc

Does the dyneema line tangle more ?whats the advantages ?any pros n cons before I restring my gun? Mono is very strong and hard wareing.

Mono is the preferred material for many because (a) it is far less likely to tangle (b) you don't necessarily need a bungee.
Nylon (in its many guises) defiantly needs a bungee & is a nightmare to untangle if it goes that way!
Not to say nylon is not any good but those are the facts!

Yeah you cant beat mono for durability , you might be fine double wrapping with mono with your muzzle /technique, but I didn't like it. I have a 50 m roll of Kevlar dynema if you want to try some without buying a load denian . I suppose you could carry an extra length precut in case of any tangles . Could tie it on in the water.

3 wraps sounds crazy to me. Imagine a 90 with a single wrap. You have arm extension+ barrell length + 3x barrel length of line, plus spear length. That ought to do it. I have a single wrap 90 and 100, and a double wrapped 75, but plan on trimming my 75 to a single wrap. The whole point of shorter guns for me is quicker / easier tracking in lots of weed - most shots close range, in poor viz - all shots close range, or for hunting flatties - short range shots.

Part of the reason for a double wrap for me is to allow a speared fish to run. Last thing you want is to hit a mullet (or pollock) a little high or low only for it to go bananas and rip off.
If you have some extra line then the fish can dive for the weed where you can swim to it and gather it up safely.

Reactions: denian
Thanks for offer Will.May try some if my new set up doesnt work out .Did double wrap on 45cm it now gives me nearly same distance as the 75cm gun .I did it then went on night dive which probily wasnt a good idea.I put the spear crimp in the wrong place on top of rear notch in spear!45cm has 20mm bands so its good for 3-4m.just noticed my picture !LOL.don't know how I got up!

Last edited:
Number of wraps depends on the length of the gun, and other conditions like visibility and whether you're shooting into structure, both of which will limit your range. A big fish will be harder to control with more line. For me in open water with a 120cm gun one wrap is enough. Simply because it's hard to hit anything at the end of two wraps unless it's really big. Measure it out at home and see. For 100 and anything below I'd use 2 wraps. More than 3 wraps is really a PITA to manage. Mono is best unless conditions require cable. Speardiver mono is high quality shooting line that lives up to its rating.

There will always be exceptions to rules or as in this case no rules at all, just guide lines.
For instance a dry barrel 90 air gun is in fact only the same length as a 75 band gun but can have the power of a 100 gun. A single wrap on my dry barrel 90 would just not be appropriate!
My night diving gun is a basic 75 with a single 16mm easy load band with half a wrap because the last thing I want is a tangle in the dark & because the shooting range is minimal.
The idea of shooting flatfish is very alien to me so I don't load my gun when hunting for them ... so no line required at all !

Last edited:
As you said there are no rules do what works for you in your area.I like my 45cm gun some may laugh it suites me and the water I fish in .How many of you use a 45cm gun as your main gun?....Well for those who do you will know why I've put more wraps on.Those who don't it gives me a shot at another 80% of fish I wouldn't of bothered taking a shot at because they were out of range.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT