• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How many recoveries from LMC or blackout have you assisted.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

How many freedivers have saved from lmc or blackout?

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • >5

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • >10

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • >20

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • too many to count

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

gbo200

Aug 7, 2003
I thought deeperblue fanatics and poll fetishists might enjoy a poll on how many recoveries from lmc or blackout our members have assisted with. I have an idea who would have the all time record.

We may also be able to share some knowledge regarding the best way to help a freediver in distress.

I guess that I have saved about ten people, with the latest being the the pool on Monday night - but what happens in the pool stays in the pool! ;)

g.

I have never seen a blackout or a SWB and hopefully never will, but this summer I will probably be seeing a handful since I am doing a freediving course, touch-wood.

Assisted one, which is not the same as '0', yet less than a number that is bigger than '5'. So no vote for now.

Snorkelbum, I've done a course, and saw no LMC/BO at all there, I'm not sure it's a must. I think it might be more common to advance courses where people are more prone to test their limits than in begginer ones.
Which course are your doing? where?

Reactions: Skindiver
I've assisted divers with about 15 LMC and one blackout. The blackout was pretty scary as it was the first one I had ever seen and hadn't event experienced an LMC at the time. But, a simple blow across the face and the diver came back to reality pretty quickly. The LMC's were no big deal. Just some shakes, maybe some funny sounds from the divers (e.g. Mooglie!) and a good way to assess your limits.

I've attended a couple of courses and saw quite a few LMC there, including one blackout. The courses offer a safe environment for the participants to push themselves with confidence in their buddies, and so that's why I think I saw more than expected during the courses. I also think it's a good thing. I would much rather have had to deal with my first Black Out experience as a buddy knowing an instructor and other divers were there for support than alone at a pool with my buddy.

Jason

For what it counts ive been "saved" twice. Both during spearfishing by my buddy. Once was when I blacked out bringing a fish to the surface and began to sink and the other was a surface black out where I was floating face down drinking water. Buddy saved my dumb posterior both times from certain death.

Hey Deepthought,
I am doing a 3day course in Monaco with Pierre Frolla, just got my medical requirements sheet filled up and sent in the application to Mr. Frolla, now waiting his reply...
Well thats good news, I would not really like to see something like that... well thanks to this forum I know now what to do when it happens!

Kirk Krack probably holds the record for most 'saved' people from LMC/BO. He's also the one person I would want to save me if I had a bad BO!

Personally I lost track of how many samba/BO's I've been witness to or saved.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Eric,

I'd certainly want Kirk as my buddy in that situation also. I know that during our clinics with Kirk here in Ottawa I was willing to push my limits further than I normally would because of the confidence I had in him.

That being said, I'd be happy to have you on the line with me anytime. From what I've heard about last year's competition in Vancouver, Tom escaped the clutches of the Grim Reaper largely due to your safety abilities.

Jason

Jason,

It may have been my diving ability that got Tom to the surface, but neither me, nor Ken nor Doug had any luck in bringing Tom back to the waking world, until Kirk arrived on the scene!

Afterwards, we asked Kirk what did he do to bring Tom around, he simply said he got 'lucky' in that Tom's laryngospasm had let go just as he arrived, allowing him to finally get air into Tom's lungs. However, I'm not so certain, I think Kirk has a secret trick!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Kirk was my rescuer for my first big BO: I think I remember he used his tongue to open my epiglottis.
JOKE!
;)
Thanks Kirk, I hope I said thank you that day too,
Erik Young

Laryngospasm : Mouth to nose

Has anyone ever thought of doing mouse to nose respiration? Even if the person is having a laryngospasm you would still be able to absorb 02 through the nose (you have 02 receptors in your nasal passages). I think the laryngospasm does not stop even though the person is out of the water because the person is not recieving 02 so the body thinks its still under water.

Some spearos that BO and do not remove snorkel whilst diving, bite down on the mouthpiece like a pitbull. So it is advised by some during CPR attempts to either blow through nose like you mentioned or directly through snorkel. I think that with infants CPR is administred through the nose also, am not certain of the reason though.

My 2 kopecks

Yes, mouth to nose is administered to inants - and one must use very small breaths! They have tiny lungs.

The reason, I think, is that very young infants have very weak neck muscles. Their skulls are no entirely formed, many bones are sill cartilege.

I would advise mouth to nose above mouth to snorkel: The larynx closes, the tongue falls back so mouth to nose would be more effective at delivering oxygen to the brain. That's what i love about nasal 02 receptors: very close to the brain.

everyone over here seems to use mouth to nose - we got it from the french. It means you always seem to get a breath in. At Cyprus last year Loic must have given mouth to nose to more than a dozen people...

With infants you can use a cheek full quantity of air to ensure you don't over inflate the lungs and then push air into the abdomen. Anyone using the mouthfill technique for equalizing wouldn't have much trouble with this!

Mouth to nose is also useful if you can't get a good seal on the mouth due to injuries etc. I'd imagine that it is not so good in rough water if you want to leave the mask on to protect the nasal airway.

Andy

I think I had one or two in three years time.

It seems that our group is a bit training conservatively to really get LMC/s BO's. Still the results are quite good, about the top of National.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT