• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How many Statics?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lachlan

Small Fry
Jun 14, 2005
Hi,

I was just doing some dry statics and was wondering if there is a safe amount for each session. Is it safe to do lots of holds in a session or is there a rough limit that I should follow. When you guys train (Fattah etc) do you keep them to a limit? How many per day do you feel is right or is it bad to do more than a certain amount?

I am interested in your thoughts on a safe limit.

Thanks, Lachlan :)

First - freediving is dangerous - nothing is 100% safe - you put your body off balance in many ways with breathholds.
But generally we say that if you are healthy with no severe astma or heart lung (vardio/vascular) problems you can go ahead and hold your breath untill you faint - If you are on LAND and lying down.

Most of your questions will probably be answered by cruising around this site (searchfunction).

I would say that beginners has to approach breatholding in a different way then those who pass 6 minutes so dont get too troubled by what the 7+ guys are doing - they are looking for the last details - you just have to explore your body by holding your breath - changing breath ups, rest and diet patterns.

Listen to your body!!! (and not to what I write :)

Draw conclusions from your reactions - and then get back here and read...

If you do reach hypoxic levels (LMC, blue lips, BO, 5+) take some care eating antioxidants (A,C,E) - will keep your immunesystem somewhat stronger.

Sebastian
Sweden

Last edited:
hi,

i would add that if you are a beginner you might do tables for co2 tolerance and relaxation training. these are less than maximum breath-holds, so you can do more of them. relaxation has a major effect on prolonging your breath-hold times and needs to be practised. if you do a maximum static in a training session (i'd only do 1) i'd recommend 1-2 restdays afterwards to firstly give your body and secondly your head/mind time to recover.

i found that doing many max statics many days in a row to not be very effective at all.

just my opinion,

roland

Reactions: Merlin
Thanks guys,

Sorry I have been away for a while but really appreciate your thoughts. Don't worry, I have been spearing for a few years and always train well within my limits. No time is worth my life!! Also I am quite fit and do lots of pool stuff but am only getting back into statics (i find them so boring).

Thanks, Lachlan

Thanks sebastian,

I know what you mean mate, however I only do pool training with a buddy and dry statics always lying down. So far my dry limit is almost 4min and I don't intend on going over 3:30 most of the time, I am happy to do 3-4 holds at 3min. I have contractions but they are still in the early stages when I stop so I don't really push it to a point where I need to breathe desperately. This training is mainly for building up bottom time for spearfishing. I am also doing stretches as well as O2 and Co2 tables for the same reason (recovery times and down time).

Anyway thanks for the word of warning.
Lachlan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT