• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How much weight do I need??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Broseidon

Lord of the Brocean
Aug 13, 2007
Really appreciate some help here guys! Not too sure on how much weight I'll need!

I'll give you a few stats:

5,8"
175lbs
11% bodyfat
5mm suit
I go to the gym a fair bit and so have a decent amount of muscle (which is less buoyent than fat)

I'm looking at the 1lbs 4 oz weights from Spearo.co.uk - does anyone have an idea how many I'd need?

Thanks!

Mike

For shallow spearing in the sea in the UK I'd go for 20lb for starters and see how it goes. Deeper diving below say 20 foot you might need less and for shallow hunting from the surface in the weed some people go as high as 25lb. Better to start off with less for safety but 15 to 25 lb is the range with a 5mm suit. There is no magic number or formula that works for everyone so you need to find out by experiment. Whatever make sure you are positive on the surface even when you breath out. Because of the amount of weight needed some people go for weight vests to spread the load and some use ankle weights as well. Rubber belts are a good idea too.

Dave

Agree with OMD, 20lbs to start and adjust; you might want to consider harness/baudrier plus belt to spread weight if you are not diving beyond 20ft.

20lbs? Wow! That is a lot! I was expecting people to say about 7 or 8 lbs! :D

I'll get say, 15lbs - 20lbs then and see how I go! Thanks guys! :)

A 5mm wetsuit is very buoyant plus you have relatively low bodyfat! If you were spearing at great depths then you would eventually go past neutral buoyancy and sink like a stone! At the depths we are talking about you will be surprised at how much weight you need to acheive 'weightlesness'

A 5mm wetsuit is very buoyant plus you have relatively low bodyfat! If you were spearing at great depths then you would eventually go past neutral buoyancy and sink like a stone! At the depths we are talking about you will be surprised at how much weight you need to acheive 'weightlesness'

The suit I've got is a high end surfing suit, it's a 5/3mm (3mm arms) with no hood. I know all the spearos like the proper 2 piece ones with hoods, but I surf as well and can't shell out for two different suits :D

I tried spearing for the first time last summer, in about 2 foot viz , i didn't have any weights, getting down deep in the water was SO DIFFICULT! I really appreciated how much I needed a belt then!

Fingers crossed, I'll be able to post up some pics of my first fish in a few weeks! :)

Thanks bro - I've had a look at Spearo for suits - I decided on the top of the range Rip Curl Fire Skin though (brought it about an hour ago!) I tried it on last week and it couldn't have been made better for, fitted like a glove!

It's got bits to attach a hood to, so I might bag myself one of them. I know it wont be quite as good as the proper 2 piece ones but I don't get to spear often so I thought the surf suit was the best option for now!

Really apreciate all the advice - sure I'll be back for more! :)

Mike

Reactions: Spaniard
If there's a zipper and no hood, you'll be cold pretty fast, especially as you are not covered in 'bioprene'!
I'd say start with 15lbs and set up your belt so that you can add or drop weights easily. Get a floatline for your gun with a float that you can stash weights and fish in/on.
Have fun dude!

If there's a zipper and no hood, you'll be cold pretty fast, especially as you are not covered in 'bioprene'!
I'd say start with 15lbs and set up your belt so that you can add or drop weights easily. Get a floatline for your gun with a float that you can stash weights and fish in/on.
Have fun dude!

Thanks mate, I'll do that, good plan!

One think that confuses me slightly, I don't really see how having a hood will make me that much warmer. I know that you lose heat from around the head and neck but seeing as the water here isn't really that cold and that I'll only be spearing in the summer months... will it make that much difference?

The suit I brought is a winter suit, I spent my childhood snorkling / freediving in Welsh waters wearing a bad fitting 3mm shorty suit and I was fine, even when I was in the water for 2 hours plus... am I missing something or am I just not that bothered by cold water :D

Out of interest, what's bioprene?

Bioprene? Natural neoprene aka fat!:D

You're mad, I freeze in 29 degree water! I'm 5'2'' with about 14 or less percent body fat, but on a full inhale, at a meter's depth, I start sinking. All this is without a suit.

I know, I'm weird.:)

Debrovnik, a hood is a really good investment. Buy a hood before gloves or bootees. The head has a very high blood flow (to the brain) and very little insulating fat. As the outside temperature (in our case the water temp) is always lower than blood temperature then your head is like a radiator giving off your body heat.

I used to have suits with seperate hoods and although they let in water through the neck joint they do allow extra freedom to move your head which can be an advantage when hunting.

I would advise you to use a surface marker bouy and a line. Put say 14 or 15 pound on your weight belt and then put another 4 or 5 pound of weights on the end of your bouy line. Carry these weights on the end of the line in your hand when swimming and towing the SMB. You can then drop these weights if you are too heavy at depth and haul them back up from the surface. Swap around the weights from line to belt until you are happy.

My advise for what it's worth.

Cheers

Dave

Bioprene? Natural neoprene aka fat!:D

Bioprene :D -I like it!

Debrovnik, a hood is a really good investment. Buy a hood before gloves or bootees. The head has a very high blood flow (to the brain) and very little insulating fat. As the outside temperature (in our case the water temp) is always lower than blood temperature then your head is like a radiator giving off your body heat.

I used to have suits with seperate hoods and although they let in water through the neck joint they do allow extra freedom to move your head which can be an advantage when hunting.

I would advise you to use a surface marker bouy and a line. Put say 14 or 15 pound on your weight belt and then put another 4 or 5 pound of weights on the end of your bouy line. Carry these weights on the end of the line in your hand when swimming and towing the SMB. You can then drop these weights if you are too heavy at depth and haul them back up from the surface. Swap around the weights from line to belt until you are happy.

My advise for what it's worth.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, really appreciate that!

I'm going to get a Seatec Quick release belt and about 20lbs of weights from Spearo this week.

Regarding the hood - The suit I've got has a hood option, which attaches inside the suit, to minimise water leakage - the hood is only about £30 - I'll definately invest in one!

Mike
This discussion comes up a lot. When you figure it out, please give us some feedback.

I'd say less than 20lb of lead, maybe 15lbs.

I've used a surf suit before and they much less buoyont than say a 5mm Elios.

Don't forget you still need to be able to float on the surface!:t

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT