• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How much weight I need with wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pstruhos

Mar 3, 2005
How much weight (approximately) I need with:
1. OMER-SUB COMPLETE SUIT MIMETIC MED MICROPOROUS 6,5mm
2. OMER-SUB COMPLETE SUIT MIMETIC MED MICROPOROUS 5 mm
3. Short wet suit 5 mm

Based on this I will deside what kind of wetsuit I will buy. Because it is not acceptable for me for example to haul (carry on bike) 15 kg of weight. I would like to carry all spearfishing equipment on bike (together with my girlfriend :duh ).

there are WAY too many variables to give you an answer... you body fat is one of the biggest issues, salt or fresh water is another, depth you plan on doing most of your diving too.. and how heavy your girlfriend is :) .. of course, with the 5mm shortie you will need the least amount of weight

Reactions: Mr. X
- salt water
- snorkeling with up to 10 meters underwater
- minimum fat (90kg/183cm)

I need just approximation, just hint or range (5kg? 10kg? 15kg?). I am beginer of course so question can be comic, but I need to calculate weight of my all potentional equipment. I would like to be flexiblie in plane, bike,etc. All time to today I did snorkeling without neophrene (with gun + abc).

I know that with shortie I will need the least amount of weight rofl

Last edited:
Of course, my girlfriend is about 50kg so I need to know, whether she would keep some reduction (I will save more money instead of renting bike with more horse power or car :) )

I am 183cm/95kg
With OMER-SUB COMPLETE SUIT MIMETIC MED MICROPOROUS 5 mm I need in salt water (mediterranean) cca 12kg

There are so many posts about this i actually started one called wheight belts a while back. The General consesus was Take the thickness of your suit ie 5mm and add two, (5kg + 2kg) = 7kg (full suit) and on 6.5mm (6.5kg + 2) though they are right there are so many variables the only sure way is to play around a bit. Admittedly the above formula works on alot of people and is a good starting point. Considering this is for boat dives to get neutral boyency at +- 10m. If you do shore dives in shallow water I add another 1-2 kgs to the equation.

i have 93 kg at 170 cm
with a 5 mm wetsuit i charge miself with 12 kg of led in Red Sea [40/1000 salty water] and with 10 kg of led in Black Sea [18-22/1000 salty water]

I tried a 5mm Elios full suit (yamamoto 45) and Orca Equip with Orca swimming cap (they have nice caps that arent too tight). For 5mm I had 6kg weight and neural boyancy was at about 12m. I wished I had more lead, 7kg is probably right, take 8kg to be sure. For Orca Equip, 3kg was enough for neutral boyancy at 8m. I ended up prefering the Orca Equip due to it being sufficient for 24'C water and requiring much less lead. With 3kg it was perfect and I could dive much more easily.

For 5mm full spearo wetsuit, diving in saltwater I find that about one 1 lb of lead per 9lb or 10lb of bodyweight gives me a reasonable starting point.

In metric, that is: 1kg lead per 9kg or 10kg of bodyweight.

So for a 100kg diver (that is just a little over my current weight) that would be 10kg-11.1kg of lead which is about 22-24.5lb. Which covers the range of weight I normally carry.

Your might need to adjust give-or-take up to, say, 2lb/1kg depending of wetsuit/body fat, depth you plan to dive at (more weight recommended for shallower diving, less for deeper diving). 1 or 2 quick add/release weights can help fine tuning on dive day ;) Getting the weight right can make a big difference to the effort required to dive and remain on the bottom - so it is worth getting it right IMHO.

So for the original 90kg questioner, (pstruhos, way back in 2006!) about 9kg -10kg~= 20-22lb

Add the weight gradually though - you don't want to pin yourself to the seabed and drown!

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT